Author Topic: Wheel Logos Instead of Text Names  (Read 9679 times)

Mihoshi20

Re: Wheel Logos Instead of Text Names
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:51:26 AM »
I think what you're envisioning is like one of the Mala themes I've seen that had a list of Marquees you can scroll through instead of just text names while the rest of the layout was pretty much the same.

WishItWas1984

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »
I don't know so much about a wheel-like game selection like how HyperSpin and others do things as I like the simplicity of the list type menu. But I do like the idea of using it for Marquee switching on the arcade cabinet supporter theme.

Considering the arcade cabinet theme is a...well, cabinet...I'm not sure why anything other than a marquee would make sense in that spot but who knows.

I love the simplicity of the current menu too but it is a bit plain with just the ROM names in one default look. What I'm suggesting actually is not to mimic the wheel functionality of Hyperspin and others.

Imagine the existing menu but instead of plain text, you have a transparent PNG of the game's logo. The only thing similar to Hyperspin is the replacement of text w/ a logo. I think it would look bad ass.

Obviously I don't recommend killing the current look. It would just be an option for anyone who wanted to populate, say a logo folder, w/ images. Hell, you can put whatever you want there. Character art, marquee images or you can design your own graphic to depict the game's name as you'd like. Although I think reusing the existing logos makes the most sense.

Hell, I'd go for just the ability to edit the text to just the game name instead of the ROM name to make it look neater. :)

Mihoshi20

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 08:24:23 AM »
I don't know so much about a wheel-like game selection like how HyperSpin and others do things as I like the simplicity of the list type menu. But I do like the idea of using it for Marquee switching on the arcade cabinet supporter theme.

WishItWas1984

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 03:35:02 AM »
Where can one find those logo?

I believe Hyperspin has a pack for MAME that you can download. There are some threads on the Attract Mode forums with links to some...and you always have Google to point you to some spots. I searched for "MAME Wheel Art" and found a guy on reddit for example who shared some links.

So the files are out there if we had this feature

jmd

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 03:14:08 AM »
Where can one find those logo?

WishItWas1984

Wheel Logos Instead of Text Names
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 02:39:18 AM »
I have to admit I like how frontends like HyperSpin and Attract Mode have logos instead of text names in their game selection menus.

The both utilize the wheel format, but I think it would look amazing in mGalaxy to do it in the vertical menu we have already.

I'm thinking 3 options:
1) Text the way we have it now
2) Mimic the "wheel" idea where the highlighted game's logo in the vertical menu would "bulge" out, or zoom to get a bit bigger. The other logos above and below would be slightly greyed out and a bit smaller.
3) Ignore the animation aspect and just straight up replace the text with the logos

Naturally this would be perfect with the new widescreen cabinet theme with marquee switching. :)