Author Topic: JPG / GIF support  (Read 7896 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: JPG / GIF support
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:41:17 AM »
There must be a "problem" with your PNG files! Are they the same size as the JPG's one?
This JPG picture is 25k (with a medium quality of 30%)
the same one with PNG-8 is 23k (and with PNG-24 is 45k)

We are far from the 16 for 1 ratio that you're talking about! (160mb vs. 10mb)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:46:16 AM by mgalaxy »

dashingw

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:46:25 PM »
Some emulators only use .png format and that's what the download sites use. My snap folders for different emultors range from 330mb - 1.5gb per folder and I see no lag and i'm not using a gaming computer only 3gb ram, windows 7, 2.9ghz processor, 32bit system. If your getting lag it's from something else probably

yro

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:54:11 AM »
I was doing some tests and thats what I see:

I have a folder called snaps with 820 snapshots.

This folder in jpg is about ~10mb

The same folder with its pictures in PNG format is about ~160mb

This is not good. This makes the front end show some lags when dealing with a lot of images. Plus, I want to have the frontend setted up to be on an usb device, so, if I can have the full pack with less size its better.

Please, add jpg support to mgalaxy. Its needed as hell. And do it in the free version.

dashingw

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 07:54:47 AM »
Mame only uses png format for snaps or am I wrong....

There is a free program that will do a whole folder in one click, its Tag and Rename
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:57:09 AM by dashingw »

Ozone

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 08:11:42 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I recently found that if you rename your .jpg files with the .png extension, the Windows version of mGalaxy will show them. I discovered this by accident.

mgtroyas

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:40:11 AM »
I also think PNG should be used in order to preserve quality, but when the source of images is in another -lossy- format, converting them to PNG is only wasting space and time.

I think it's better to give users all options and educate them (i.e. via some message on config app) than force them without understanding the cause.

Just my opinion, as this is a suggestion thread. And I'll continue converting the images to PNG as I love mGalaxy.

Aeliss

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
You can find somes applications to convert a complete folder in 1 click like Thumbclick.

PNG is the better format for images in general.

mgtroyas

• Email
JPG / GIF support
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:08:17 AM »
I know it has been asked before, but I think is pretty needed. I'm an Emumovies member and some images are downloaded in JPG or GIF format, I must convert them to PNG every time I finish downloading new/edited images.