Author Topic: Changing Fonts  (Read 6882 times)

Aeliss

Re: Changing Fonts
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:25 AM »
Some front end use 2 font size to display name, like AtomicFE.

The rom name have big size and tag little size, on same line.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:14:20 AM by Aeliss »

ozy

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 03:16:22 AM »
I agree this would make for a bad default setting. However, for users with only a partial selection or ROMs, or for users who have taken the time to manually modify their ROM list it would be very useful I think. :)

Having the option to toggle this (either globally or per-ROM set) would benefit both sets of users. It could be set as an advanced option and "hidden away" from accidental toggling, if that was a concern.

I believe some other front ends have this option (ie. MaLa).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 03:22:00 AM by ozy »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
I understand what you are saying regarding the removal of brackets. I've actually taken the time to move all clones into a different folder to get around the problem you mention. However, batch-changing the descriptions in the database xml would be difficult as it would also change the rom name.
If I understand you well, you already moved cloned roms into a different folder
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U) [!]
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U) [b1]
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U) [b2]

..but you still have the main rom named
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U)
and you would like it to be named:
3 Ninjas Kick Back
...correct?

My concern is still the same: what about 'standard' users (I must think to the majority of users) that won't move cloned into a different folder and will see those roms displayed like this:
3 Ninjas Kick Back
3 Ninjas Kick Back
3 Ninjas Kick Back
3 Ninjas Kick Back

ozy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »
Hi mGalaxy, thanks for the reply.

I think text bouncing would be a good solution for titles with longer names. Something like this as an example:

http://www.quackit.com/html/codes/scrolling_text.cfm - the "Text bouncing back and forth:" example.

This would look pretty cool!

I understand what you are saying regarding the removal of brackets. I've actually taken the time to move all clones into a different folder to get around the problem you mention. However, batch-changing the descriptions in the database xml would be difficult as it would also change the rom name.

I looked at ROMLister but this seems to support only Mame roms.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »
it would be nice to set the font type/size for the ROM list as sometimes names are truncated
I understand! Some names are so long that even a 6px font size won't be enough to display all characters.
That's the reason why mGalaxy already have the full name displayed just under the screenshot. This space is 'multi-line' and can virtually display any name length.

Also, being able to remove bracketed text in ROM names automatically without having to edit the xml database file would be useful. By this I mean strings such as (U) (!) and (Europe) present in non-MAME ROMS.
Let's say that you've those 4 roms
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U).smc
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U) [!].smc
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U) [b1].smc
3 Ninjas Kick Back. (U) [b2].smc
If I create a function to remove all that is inside parentheses and brackets you get this listed inside mGalaxy:
3 Ninjas Kick Back
3 Ninjas Kick Back
3 Ninjas Kick Back
3 Ninjas Kick Back
...I think that this is not a good thing.
In my opinion the best would be to use a rom manager as 'Romlister' to create 'clean' sets following your rules.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:19:00 PM by mgalaxy »

ozy

Changing Fonts
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:51:30 AM »
I appreciate the themes are locked but it would be nice to set the font type/size for the ROM list as sometimes names are truncated.

Also, being able to remove bracketed text in ROM names automatically without having to edit the xml database file would be useful. By this I mean strings such as (U) (!) and (Europe) present in non-MAME ROMS.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:00:12 AM by ozy »