Author Topic: Can I disable "Esc" key behavior that exits emulator?  (Read 9906 times)

Solid One

Re: Can I disable "Esc" key behavior that exits emulator?
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 06:22:34 AM »
mGalaxy doesn't send "closing" message to the emulator.
What is send - for the emulators that support it - is an argument in the command line telling the emulator that it can map the ESC key to quit action. (for the emulators that doesn't use ESC to quit OR doesn't accept an argument to switch this functionality on, you would have to use a script from mGalaxy)
So, in your case, you should simply edit the command line for the concerned emulator.
This command line can be found in "systems.xml". This file can be found in the mGalaxy data folder (you've got a shortcut to it in the mGalaxy folder).
Open this file with a text or xml editor, then search for your emulator and remove the argument that allow the emulator to quit on ESC key.
For Gens in example, this argument would be: --quickexit
For ZSNES this will be: -m
To my knowledge Snes9x can't quit on ESC (or be sent an argument to do so!)...so it shouldn't quit on ESC !?
Hope that it'll help you!

Now I understood what you mean. Thanks for the info regarding "system.xml" file and emulators' command line arguments. Being that the case, I'll edit "systems.xml" file and remove them.

And about Snes9x, I guess emulator was exiting on Esc key because I'm using this emulator script. I'll try disabling the script and see if it works (although I'm having a issue where the emu isn't loading roms via command-line from mGalaxy, but I'll check it later).

BTW, a good feature on mGalaxy_Runway is a field for editing command line arguments for each emulator.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 07:47:00 AM by Solid One »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:17:37 AM »
mGalaxy doesn't send "closing" message to the emulator.
What is send - for the emulators that support it - is an argument in the command line telling the emulator that it can map the ESC key to quit action. (for the emulators that doesn't use ESC to quit OR doesn't accept an argument to switch this functionality on, you would have to use a script from mGalaxy)
So, in your case, you should simply edit the command line for the concerned emulator.
This command line can be found in "systems.xml". This file can be found in the mGalaxy data folder (you've got a shortcut to it in the mGalaxy folder).
Open this file with a text or xml editor, then search for your emulator and remove the argument that allow the emulator to quit on ESC key.
For Gens in example, this argument would be: --quickexit
For ZSNES this will be: -m
To my knowledge Snes9x can't quit on ESC (or be sent an argument to do so!)...so it shouldn't quit on ESC !?
Hope that it'll help you!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:56:59 AM by mgalaxy »

Solid One

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 10:28:18 PM »
mGalxy doesn't close emulator on ESC key pressed!
When an application is launched (the emulator) mGalaxy just waits for it to end.
The fact is that some emulators use the ESC key to quit and that - for the one that doesn't use this key - you can use a mGalaxy script to "force" it!
Free to you to don't use such a script if you want to use the native way to quit for those emulators!

Nope. Emulator is really closed when I press ESC key. I checked emulator processes on Windows Task Manager and they really disappear.

I know there's some emulators that is closed by default when you press Esc. MAME and MESS are two examples.

I've tested three emulators (Gens/GS, ZSNES and Snes9x) and all of them are having the same issue: Closes on Esc key.

Can I avoid emulator closing on Esc key without creating and compiling an AutoIt script?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
mGalxy doesn't close emulator on ESC key pressed!
When an application is launched (the emulator) mGalaxy just waits for it to end.
The fact is that some emulators use the ESC key to quit and that - for the one that doesn't use this key - you can use a mGalaxy script to "force" it!
Free to you to don't use such a script if you want to use the native way to quit for those emulators!

Solid One

Can I disable "Esc" key behavior that exits emulator?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »
I've downloaded mGalaxy today. It's a great frontend. Very simple and versatile. I'm using it as a frontend for my SNES games.

However, I have a lot of different USB controllers, and remapping buttons is something I do frequently. On ZSNES, input menu is showing only after I press Escape key, and mGalaxy closes the emulator the moment I press Escape. I have to open ZSNES outside mGalaxy to be able to remap buttons.

Same issue happens on Snes9x 1.53, since I need to press Esc too.

Can I disable that behavior on mGalaxy, or at least map another key or controller button to do this task?