Author Topic: How to display rom name.  (Read 9217 times)

Aeliss

Re: How to display rom name.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
Ha yep, right, I haven't see this problem.

fleskebacon

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 02:39:29 AM »
I haven't tried yet but the line

Code: [Select]
<description>Name without tag</description>
isn't enought to display a short name ?

Yes, this is what I've done. But when doing it this way, the additional information is lost forever. With an additional field, you can keep the full name with revision and stuff in <description>, and an optional short name in for exampel <display name>. Then it can be toggled, whether you want to display the <description> or the <display name>.

Also, if you change the <description> tag, it will mess up your favorites. This is my biggest problem, acutally. If I change the <description>, the game is removed from favorites and needs to be re-added.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:01:54 PM »
So in the future rom name can take 2 line ?
Yes Aeliss!

Aeliss

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:38:33 AM »
I haven't tried yet but the line

<description>Name without tag</description>
isn't enought to display a short name ?

fleskebacon

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 05:40:45 AM »
Could it also be an idea to add a "display name"-tag in the main xml? This way you can keep the original long name with additional information, and you can have mGalaxy display your own custom short name. This could even be toggled, whether to display "full name" or "short name".

I feel bad about stripping the additional information from the main xml, as I sometimes need it.

Aeliss

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
this "one line" restriction has been removed
So in the future rom name can take 2 line ?

Yep digital.arts, you are right, I will make a script to make xml script just with rom folder, and remove all the tags, but there is still problems for some rom like this one "A Life M36 Planet - MotherBrain has Been Aliving (JP).zip".

I think I will combine the  2 methods, clean the name with database, and for the rare too long name, use the 2 lines function ^^.

It s fantastic It s the first "application made on demand" I know :)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:34:06 AM »
I have a little problem with roms with "too much complete name"
Any ideas ?

Aeliss,
The name of the game is (of course) displayed in the main scrolling list...but the width of this display isn't enough for many games to be displayed entirely.
That's the reason why this name is displayed under the snapshot too..with more space free, to allow the vast majority of games to be displayed properly.
This place was enough to display Mame games' name (just a VERY few games still missed a few characters to be complete)...but now that mGalaxy is opened to other systems the naming convention of those games might even be longer, you're right!

So, I can announce you that this "one line" restriction has been removed :-) (available in next mGalaxy version)

digital.arts

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 02:45:01 AM »
Hi,
my opinion:
let the romname as short as possible (like the mame-roms, for example "dkong.zip")
and in the the Database the complete name (or name you like), look into cutout from Model2-Database:

<game name="bel" cloneof="">
    <description>Behind... Enemy Lines</description>
    <genre>Shooter</genre>
    <players></players>
  </game>

OK, perhaps a lot of work to do, but i think the resultate is quite good...

Digital

Aeliss

How to display rom name.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
I have a little problem with roms with "too much complete name"
eg : Very long name rom (editor) (special version) [EU] (work only in this mode) (Disk 2).zip

The display can't be complete on mGalaxy. I rename all my rom (eg I delete editor) but sometime the info in name is usefull.

It s possible to display the rom like this

Very long name rom (editor) (special version) [EU] (work only in this mode) (Disk 2).zip

But it s still heavy, or display only "Very long name rom" in rom list and complete name only under the screeshoot, but It s not visible enought for me, really bad eyes ^^.

Use 2 lines for long name ?

Any ideas ?