Author Topic: Game Screenshots  (Read 5715 times)

citizengodden

Re: Game Screenshots
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »
Yeah Aeliss - there are some cool utilities out there to workaround the problem. Photoshop does a good job too, using its batch functions. Thankfully we won't need them though because mGalaxy will support the formats directly which is great news =)
It's not easy being green.

Aeliss

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
For the first point you can use somes applications like thumbclic that convert an entire folder in 2 clics. jpg > png or bmp > png.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 03:06:37 AM »
citizengodden,

Thanks for your ideas!
1) You know, that's a long time that I'm willing to allow extensions other than '.png' for screenshot...and your message made this idea come up to the 2nd place in the 'todo' list (just behind the systems database ;-))

2) That's a good idea too! You know, my main concern is to keep mGalaxy as simple as possible, practically...and esthetically. So, even if it's "good" for me, I won't retain the advertising option which I see as a little intrusive (if people with just a few screenshots have to see that space constantly). But I retain the idea of a little logo and link at that place, thanks!!

citizengodden

Game Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
I've got 2 ideas for the screenshot display.

1) It would be nice to display something other than png's. For instance, I'd rather see the cart images for the 2600. These are in jpg format, so don't display if I point mGalaxy to the directory where they are. Also some emus save screenshots as bmp - might be worth considering.

2) Rather than displaying "No Screenshot available" etc. for games where you can't find a match in the snap directory - why not use the opportunity to advertise mGalaxy?? You could have a nice image of the mGalaxy logo, a reminder of the website address, and something small somewhere to say that there's no screenshot for the game, at the bottom maybe. This should be a quick bit of programming for you, and helps to advertise the frontend in otherwise wasted space. If you had the time, you could even have different images advertising mGalaxy (including the supporter's edition) in different colours and cycle them.
It's not easy being green.