Author Topic: Portable Version  (Read 9898 times)

rash2236

• only arcade game
    • Email
Re: Portable Version
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 08:32:12 AM »
mGalaxy installer but portable

Alan Ford

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 04:17:46 PM »
portable FTW!

Aeliss

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 12:16:49 PM »
Windows standars are wounds.

Some applications need them, I m agree like this one that use kernel/system, like browser (I have tried portable browser, it s realy not friendly) but ATM when I need to download an application I always type in google "Name of application portable".

ATM 80% of my computer is portable (I even have an virtual CD emulator portable), less craps in windows system directory, less conflicts beetween application, less craps after uncomplete uninstallation, easiers backups.

There is no advantage using this **** standards. I have only 1 user registered on every computer and he is always admin on all even if many people use it. All family have many computers, and all childrens want their own computer, what is the utility to make many users, we aren't on linux with their paranoid of security.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:22:17 PM by Aeliss »

davhuit

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:05:30 PM »
What I don't like about programs which use those standards is that when I reinstall Windows, I often forget to backup those directories and so, most of the time, I lose the config of some programs (even with a backup function in the programs, I don't always think about backup everything), or worst, some savegames of some PC Games.

With programs which store the configuration in their own directory, as I install most of them in a separate hard drive, even if I forgot to backup them, I can still rename the old directory, reinstall them if required, then overwrite the folder with the old one to get back the configuration settings.

citizengodden

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
I'm back! And yes - a portable version is a great idea. I understand why the current config is in the %appdata% directory though, so it would have to be a different build if the author thought it worth while. Either that or a complete walk-away from the Windows standard.. =/

But yes, a portable version does sound nice - I can understand why people would want this - maybe a crafty lunch-break retro gaming session or 12?  ;D
It's not easy being green.

davhuit

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
I also agree, I prefer when a program keep all it's configuration files in the same directory, and so avoid to use "\User\.

rash2236

• only arcade game
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 02:39:58 PM »
I agree with the previous speaker

Aeliss

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
Yeah all files in the same folder is better to manipule them.
It s boring to go in the c:/users file (and show hidden files).
It s easier too to make backup.

rik_adriano

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »
hello

we need a portable version

h3xl3y

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »
+1
that would be great

Duckeenie

Portable Version
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:40 AM »
Would be really cool if I could just throw a working version on a DVD or memory stick for friends.

Thanks for listening  :)