Author Topic: ESC and all secondary comands  (Read 16230 times)

Graphicsgod

• Email
Re: ESC and all secondary comands
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:09:46 PM »
I figured out it seems to be my MAME PC. I tried this on a laptop, and it works fine. Have no idea why this is..

Aeliss

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 10:47:29 AM »
Sorry I have a really bad english, and I don't understand all.

You use the xbox controller with a button that emulate a key (ESCAPE key) with joytokey or xpadder.
And It work if you press this button to quit and not if you use the real key on keyboard ?

Check if the button you have bind is not used in Mgalaxy for other thing ? To avoid problem try to bind the esc key at the button used by mGalaxy to "system change/quit mGalaxy".

Graphicsgod

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
I have also had issues with keyboard on mgalaxy. My xbox controller works just fine, but if I bind keyboard keys, half do nothing. Heck I couldn't play a game or exit the program without using a controller. If I used the key that was bound, the screen would flash or the button would light up, but that was it. Any idea why this is? Not that it's a big issue, since I need the keyboard only for testing..

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
VidGameProf,

Glad to help you ! :)
It actually opens my eyes on the fact that the explanation given on the website isn't clear enough; I'll change it following the response I gave you

I'll send pics when the project is complete
Great! I can't wait to see it ..Thanks!

VidGameProf

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 12:02:36 PM »
You're spot on.  I took a look at the key encoder matrix on the X-Arcade site and based on the expected combination of the X-arcade controllers "2 Player" and "Pinball right" it should produce the key stroke "ESC".  After testing I have learned that my controller does not output as expected.

Since my controller is about three or four years old, I'm guessing the internal encoder is not the same IPAC that is used in the current version of the X-Arcade controller.

As a work-around, I reprogrammed the second player's button # 8 to emulate the ESC key (normally it emulates "6").  Since I'm not into fighting games, I don't think I'd ever use that button anyway.  I'll do the same thing for "Pause" with the player one # 8 key ((normally it emulates "5").

So...this is exactly why I began my post with a "could be operator error" theme.  This thread might be useful to other owners of older X-Arcade controllers as it seems the encoder does not support a matrix table, only direct key strokes.

Thanks for your patience and X-Arcade tech support!  I'm getting ready to use the parts in this controller to build into a new cab project.  I'll send pics when the project is complete.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 05:19:54 AM »
Yes, it quits correctly (pressing ESC key from the keyboard)
Ok, that's the proof that mGalaxy correctly intercepts the ESC key.
So the problem is coming from the way your X-Arcade encoder is actually programmed.

For your help :
mGalaxy reacts to the key sent by the interface...not exactly the sequence that you had to do to achieve this key sent.
Example: mGalaxy is waithing for the ESC key to be pressed to quit.
So with an Ipac this would be the combination of Plyr1 & Plyr2 that would send this keystroke.
With the X-Aracade it should be Start2 + Coin2 (correct?) that invokes the same ESC key.

One other example : browsing to the next letter happens when "Tab" is pressed on a keyboard.
It appears that this "Tab" keystroke is sent with a "Ply1Start" + "ArrowKey Right" on the IPac
On the X-Arcade you would have to do "Plyr1Start + Coin1" to get the same "Tab" result.

OK? So, look at the keys needed by mGalaxy...and see how and where you can map it to your interface.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 09:05:50 AM by mgalaxy »

VidGameProf

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:35:06 PM »
Just to be sure: what do you mean by "followed"?
You must actually hold "Player 1" WHILE pressing "Player 2"
Is this what you do?

Yes. I press and continue to hold down Player 1 button and then pressing Player 2 button.

What if you press the ESC key from your keyboard while you're in mGalaxy, does mGalaxy quit correctly?

Yes, it quits correctly (pressing ESC key from the keyboard)

If you'd like to see the behavior first hand, I can let you take control of this PC through Windows Remote (assuming you're using Win XP).

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
when pressed within mGalaxy such as "1" followed by "2" simply responds as if only "2" is pressed
Just to be sure: what do you mean by "followed"?
You must actually hold "Player 1" WHILE pressing "Player 2"
Is this what you do?

So yes, if i launch a game through mGalaxy and press the ESC key from my keyboard, it will indeed exit the game back to the front end.
What if you press the ESC key from your keyboard while you're in mGalaxy, does mGalaxy quit correctly?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 04:05:10 PM by mgalaxy »

VidGameProf

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
Just to rule out user error or keyboard set up error, I confirmed that every feature utilizing a "1" press directly from the keyboard combined with the joystick (UP, DOWN, etc.), (up 15, down 15, etc) works as described.  Pressing the "2" works correctly. as well.  However, anything in combination with the "1" is ignored within a game and when pressed within mGalaxy such as "1" followed by "2" simply responds as if only "2" is pressed.

VidGameProf

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 02:35:36 PM »
OK...swapped the keyboard, but still have the same issue.

BTW...
The fact that ESC doesn't work neither in mGalaxy or Mame itself indicates that the problem isn't coming from mGalaxy

ESC works correctly within Mame.  I didn't catch your assumption the first time I read your response.  So yes, if i launch a game through mGalaxy and press the ESC key from my keyboard, it will indeed exit the game back to the front end.

VidGameProf

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »
I'm using an X-Arcade two joystick controller.  I did check the encoding.  When I press the 1 Player button, a keystroke "1" is sent and for the Player 2 button, a keystroke "2" is sent.

Also, from within mGalaxy, if I press the keyboard number 1 followed by number 2 key, nothing happens.  (not the number pad)

I am using a micro keyboard which is plugged into the X-Arcade controller.  I am going to swap out to a standatd keyboard and see if it makes any difference.  I'll report back shortly.

Thanks!

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 01:49:12 PM »
The fact that ESC doesn't work neither in mGalaxy or Mame itself indicates that the problem isn't coming from mGalaxy...but from your keyboard encoder settings.(which one are you using by the way?)

Is it programmed correctly?
Is "Player 1" mapped to the "1" key and "Player 2" mapped to the "2" key (both on the "main" keyboard, not the numeric pad)?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 01:50:51 PM by mgalaxy »

VidGameProf

ESC and all secondary comands
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 12:28:02 PM »
It may well be user error, but I think I'm 9doing this correctly...

When attempting to emulate the "ESC" key, if I am reading the documentation correctly, I should press Player 1 Start and Player 2 Start.  When I do, mGalaxy launches the menu.  When I do it in an active game, there is no result.

Still in love with this front end!