Author Topic: running 5.5 and can't find the rom DB file  (Read 4419 times)

Ashman

Re: running 5.5 and can't find the rom DB file
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 07:19:40 AM »
No problem at all.  You've earned it.  mGalaxy is a great front end.

To be honest, I should have upgraded long ago.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 03:14:58 PM »
Sure, please find here the v6.0 download link: https://www.mgalaxy.com/downloads/mGalaxy_v6.0_Installer.zip
Thanks for your support by the way!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 03:17:05 PM by mgalaxy »

Ashman

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 09:14:25 AM »
A quick follow-up question...

Is there somewhere I can pick up V6.0 to see if that will work for me? 

I tried the latest version and it won't launch in my Win 7 environment.  Saw another thread about that and I'm already on Service Pack 1 with the patch, so it's probably something else screwy that I've done.

I'm hoping not to trigger a full-on Windows 10 upgrade to upgrade my mGalaxy, so I'm hoping there's a download for legacy versions somewhere.

Thanks again for the support.

Ashman

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 09:09:52 AM »
That is extremely helpful.  Thank you!

So now, I guess, the question is do I want to upgrade my version of mGalaxy or down-grade my version of MAME.

In either case, you've given me actionable advice that I can follow.

This kind of support is greatly appreciated... and just like that you've minted another unlimited premium member.   :D

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 02:27:52 AM »
Ok, I just did some tests (and time to go back to that time too)

The problem is actually with your version of MAME.

At the turn of version 0.161 there was a radical change in MAME, which from then on also integrated systems other than the 'Arcade' ones.
So, in the following versions mGalaxy has integrated this change.
But if you want to continue with mGalaxy version 5.5, the last version of Mame you can use is 0.161b (https://github.com/mamedev/mame/releases/tag/mame0161)
I remind you that mGalaxy also expects to find, in the Mame folder, the files 'catver.ini' (info about the genre) and 'nplayers.ini' (info about the number of players) corresponding to the version 0.161...I hope you have them or you can find them on the net.

Ashman

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 05:39:54 PM »
By the way, it is perfect legit to say, "Get your head out of 2014.  Your versions are too old and you need to upgrade."

I have half a mind to do just that, but again, it's mostly working so I hate to muck with it.

Thanks for the help in any case.

Ashman

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 03:52:47 PM »
Looks like I'm running 0.203 64 bit.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2021, 02:40:34 PM »
I will try to help...which MAME version are you running?

Ashman

running 5.5 and can't find the rom DB file
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 02:29:58 PM »
Ok.  I know I'm running an old version here, but it's in a cabinet that's all set up running windows 7, and if it ain't broke I hate to muck with it.

However, I'd like to edit the names of a few games, and I'm having a dickens of a time finding the rom database file.

I can generate the DB in Runway, and while it's doing its thing I watch the mGalaxy/data directory to see the xmlout.xml file grow in size.  However, once it's complete, it evidently gets moved somewhere else because the xmlout.xml file in the mGalaxy directory drops down to 1k in size yet mGalaxy runs just fine.

I've looked in the users/me/app data/local/mGalaxy directory.  I've looked in the MAME directory.  I've looked in the ROMS directory.  I've even done a hard drive search and the only file that ever comes back is the 1k one in the mGalaxy directory.

HELP!   :'(