Author Topic: Can You Skip MAME Intro/Startup?  (Read 4700 times)

WishItWas1984

Can You Skip MAME Intro/Startup?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 02:55:38 PM »
On most games there's an intro/bootup sequence that must be endured before you can start playing. For example, ROM checks, or for games like Galaga, the garbled screen as the "machine" turns on.

Now I completely understand why this happens. We're emulating the actual machine and this is a preservation project.

I also know that this is not a long time to wait before the game starts, however that opinion does not take into account the notion of compounding time. Meaning, 5-10 seconds in one game, turns into minutes over many games in an afternoon, etc. etc.. where you're dealing with serious numbers of time wasted.

So with all of that said, I've only been able to find out that the old AdvancedMAME complied version of MAME gave you the ability to skip some or all of these pointless stuff when you start a game. Unfortunately it looks like that version of MAME has been long abandoned.

So, is there another method. Either within MAME, a plugin, or another compiled version that lets you bypass this stuff?

Thanks