Author Topic: mGalaxy 7.6 Crashing on Game Exit Regularly  (Read 10986 times)

WishItWas1984

Re: mGalaxy 7.6 Crashing on Game Exit Regularly
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2020, 01:47:32 AM »
Everything points to mGalaxy having a problem in this specific scenario, almost like it's frozen and preventing MAME from exiting.
I still believe that it's not a mGalaxy problem.
It is not 'freezing'!  When you launch a game mGalaxy enters a 'wait' state. It will 'awake' when the launched application has quit.
For one (unknown to me) reason I've the feeling that Mame doesn't quit normally. You could check it by calling the task manager (shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+ESC)..and see if you can still see a MAME instance.

A quick (and temporary) fix would be to launch Mame through a script. Here's the walk-through if you're interested in testing it:
Go to the "mGalaxy>Data>Script" folder, make a copy of the first one ("1964, 1964 UltraFast [Script]") and rename it "MAME"
Now, launch a Mame game in mGalaxy and report if it's still "freezing" please.

Totally forgot about this. Haven't fired up my arcade in a while. Ok, the Task Manager suggestion didn't work. Nothing happens when I hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC when the "crash" happens.

However, your script idea worked...kind of. The "freezing" stopped. I tried and tried and could not get it to happen. One additional benefit, mGalaxy also stopped minimizing on game exit.

The only problem with this solution is an ugly DOS window that pops up every time. You said this is a temporary solution, but I would honestly be happen to run with this permanently if you knew of a way to stop that DOS window from being visible.

WishItWas1984

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2020, 08:29:35 AM »
@WISHITWAS1984
Any news? Just curious to know if you could find Mame process in the task manager and if the use of a script (as proposed in the previous post) fixed your problem

Sorry, was not able to do this over the weekend. I have this tab open and will definitely give it a shot as soon as I can.

jmd

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 02:08:21 AM »
@WISHITWAS1984
Any news? Just curious to know if you could find Mame process in the task manager and if the use of a script (as proposed in the previous post) fixed your problem
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:12:34 AM by jmd »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 07:46:26 AM »
Everything points to mGalaxy having a problem in this specific scenario, almost like it's frozen and preventing MAME from exiting.
I still believe that it's not a mGalaxy problem.
It is not 'freezing'!  When you launch a game mGalaxy enters a 'wait' state. It will 'awake' when the launched application has quit.
For one (unknown to me) reason I've the feeling that Mame doesn't quit normally. You could check it by calling the task manager (shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+ESC)..and see if you can still see a MAME instance.

A quick (and temporary) fix would be to launch Mame through a script. Here's the walk-through if you're interested in testing it:
Go to the "mGalaxy>Data>Script" folder, make a copy of the first one ("1964, 1964 UltraFast [Script]") and rename it "MAME"
Now, launch a Mame game in mGalaxy and report if it's still "freezing" please.

WishItWas1984

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 01:13:19 AM »
On the crash popup, you have not  a small link on bottom "view problem details" ?

No. Just "Close Program" and "Wait for Program to Respond"
I believe that mGalaxy is not crashing...but simply waiting for Mame to quit!!
When you quit a game, and that mGalaxy seems crashing, call the "task manager" and check to see if you can find an occurrence of mame running or not!

When this happens, Task Manager is not able to be seen. ALT+TAB stops working. I can select Task Manager with ALT+TAB, or any other application, but it won't switch out of mGalaxy.

Whatever is happening, it's definitely a combination of mGalaxy and MAME.

If I cause the mGalaxy "freeze" to happen, I was able to shutdown MAME via ALT+TAB. This allowed mGalaxy's menu screen to come back and mGalaxy was functioning again.

The problem is, if I run MAME by itself outside of mGalaxy, I can exit a game at any point and instantly get back to the MAME menu screen.

When you add mGalaxy, it doesn't work if you do it too quickly. Everything points to mGalaxy having a problem in this specific scenario, almost like it's frozen and preventing MAME from exiting.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 02:29:13 PM »
On the crash popup, you have not  a small link on bottom "view problem details" ?

I believe that mGalaxy is not crashing...but simply waiting for Mame to quit!!
When you quit a game, and that mGalaxy seems crashing, call the "task manager" and check to see if you can find an occurrence of mame running or not!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:31:09 PM by mgalaxy »

WishItWas1984

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 01:16:03 PM »
As the subject says, I have mGalaxy 7.6 installed and it regularly crashes on exiting a game, BUT it only happens at the beginning of the rom load.

If I wait for the rom to fully load, then a few extra seconds...say, 5-10, then I can nearly always exit just fine.

Also, when I say "regularly" I mean that it happens often but not 100% of the time.
Does it happen with every emulator or only one...and which one please.
You'll find mGalaxy logs inside 'Data' folder.

I only use mGalaxy for one emulator, MAME. Currently I'm running MAME 0.221

I forced the error to occur again and looked at the updated logs in Data. I only see two with an updated time stamp, but there's nothing inside. They each contain just one line...

mGalaxy.log - [05/06/2020 02:11:24 PM] [Info] mGalaxy started!
mg_integritycheck.log - [05/06/2020 02:11:24 PM] [Info] mg_integritycheck started!

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »
As the subject says, I have mGalaxy 7.6 installed and it regularly crashes on exiting a game, BUT it only happens at the beginning of the rom load.

If I wait for the rom to fully load, then a few extra seconds...say, 5-10, then I can nearly always exit just fine.

Also, when I say "regularly" I mean that it happens often but not 100% of the time.
Does it happen with every emulator or only one...and which one please.
You'll find mGalaxy logs inside 'Data' folder.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:25:02 AM by mgalaxy »

Aeliss

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 09:49:06 AM »
Arf, so I see only the Event Viewer to use with eventvwr.msc but not sure the bug will be on it.
No files *.log on mGalaxy folder ?

WishItWas1984

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 05:09:47 PM »

Aeliss

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 11:16:42 AM »

WishItWas1984

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 02:34:34 PM »
The easy way : When mGalaxy crash, it close or you have a popup ? On some popup you can have more informations.

I have no problem doing it the hard way. I just don't know what settings or parameters to run mGalaxy in to trigger a log save.

As far as what you said, I get a popup that mGalaxy is no longer responding and asking me if I want to shut it down. That's it.

Aeliss

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 09:54:14 AM »
The easy way : When mGalaxy crash, it close or you have a popup ? On some popup you can have more informations.

WishItWas1984

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:25:28 PM »
Hello, you have an error dialog to help debugging ?

Or better a debug log file ?

I tried looking up how to set that up in mGalaxy but can't find anything. Can you point me to instructions to create a debug log?

Aeliss

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 07:21:39 AM »
Hello, you have an error dialog to help debugging ?

Or better a debug log file ?