Author Topic: Certain games don't launch- but play fine in MAME  (Read 10223 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Certain games don't launch- but play fine in MAME
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 09:23:32 PM »
Let's focus on one rom of your choice if you don't mind! Could you tell me the (real) name of the game and the rom name associated to it?
1. Can you see the rom in your rom folder?
2. Can you see the rom listed in the xmlout.xml file (mGalaxy/Data/User/The GUID of your system/xmlout.xml)...open it with a text editor

notbillcosby

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2021, 11:50:32 AM »
After taking about a year off from this, I fired up my machine again and it should come as no surprise that nothing has changed :) Is there anyone on this forum right now that wasn't here a year ago that might be able to help me out? I miss playing Ms Pac Man and Galaga with the speedup hacks.

notbillcosby

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 07:05:35 AM »
Yes.

I don't know enought database to answer you.

But Are you using mGalaxy Runaway to generate it ?

Aeliss

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 04:14:01 AM »
I don't know enought database to answer you.

But Are you using mGalaxy Runaway to generate it ?

notbillcosby

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »
Where do I start? I only understand the updates/romsets and database stuff well enough to follow the tutorials I've found, but apparently not enough to detect when something didn't work right. Do I try making the database again? Maybe I should try running a "speedup hack" version of a game from the command line...? I'm also not sure how to run a variant like that.

Ok so you have the files, but they don't appear in mGalaxy ?
So I think it's a version problem with ini files used to make db and file version, yes.

Aeliss

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 09:06:37 AM »
Ok so you have the files, but they don't appear in mGalaxy ?
So I think it's a version problem with ini files used to make db and file version, yes.

notbillcosby

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 07:59:42 AM »
I guess I have my terminology wrong. When i only show available roms I lose things like fast ms pac man and fast galaga. I'm absolutely certain my 85gb romset includes those roms, and I like them and want to be able to play them. Did I fail when i was making the database or updating my romset?

No it's don't hide clone, there is too an option too for clone, this option just hide existing rom but not present on your system.

Aeliss

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 06:27:58 AM »
No it's don't hide clone, there is too an option too for clone, this option just hide existing rom but not present on your system.

notbillcosby

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 01:17:20 PM »
I have a huge romset, 201 that I (hopefully!) updated to 202. I’m sure I have things like ms pac man with the speed up hack and would definitely like to play them. Won’t this turn off the clones?
Edit: Yes, it does what I expected. Does this mean my database is made wrong? That I updated my romset incorrectly?

No, I think it's simple
Run mgalaxy, open preference tab (it have filter option),  enable "available only" or something like this.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:46:07 PM by notbillcosby »

Aeliss

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 01:13:42 PM »
No, I think it's simple
Run mgalaxy, open preference tab (it have filter option),  enable "available only" or something like this.

notbillcosby

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 07:53:04 PM »
I turned the database back on and tried this out. You’re right, Burger Time (Data East Set 1) will launch from MGalaxy. Similarly, Ms. Pac-Man will but Ms. Pac-Man (speedup hack) does not. I have apparently built my database wrong...? I followed the guide on this page but, iirc, there were some discrepancies between what showed on my screen vs the tutorial. Maybe I follow the guide again and take screenshots of the process so we can find where I’m going wrong?

Ok So the problem is from your database
You are just not lauching exactly the same game but surely a clone.

You can re-enable database, but take care on the game list,
btime.zip is "Burger Time (Data East set 1)" exactly, wich one are you trying in mGalaxy ?

Aeliss

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 12:05:22 PM »
Ok So the problem is from your database
You are just not lauching exactly the same game but surely a clone.

You can re-enable database, but take care on the game list,
btime.zip is "Burger Time (Data East set 1)" exactly, wich one are you trying in mGalaxy ?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:07:38 PM by Aeliss »

notbillcosby

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 08:15:06 AM »
Alright! This works but as you’d expect my game names are all gone now. I did my best to follow the instructions on this site for setting up a database but I must’ve screwed something up. Thanks so much for your help so far... got any more advice? :)

On the first screenshoot, there is a button "Extra", from my memory you have an option to uncheck.

Aeliss

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 02:48:36 AM »
On the first screenshoot, there is a button "Extra", from my memory you have an option to uncheck.

notbillcosby

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 10:16:40 AM »
I’m extremely hazy on how database stuff works. Could you point me to directions on how to do exactly what you’re talking about?