Author Topic: Support 7z  (Read 8162 times)

Alan Ford

• Email
Re: Support 7z
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »
Hey thanks for the compiled version. Now, I tried it 10 minutes ago, and for some reason it only reads 3 games starting with letter G... all files in roms folder are 7z. Any clues?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 07:04:55 AM »
Alan? Check your mail!! ;)

Alan Ford

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:17:35 AM »
Just to be sure:
When you tell me that mGalaxy doesn't support .7z files, you are talking of the "Show available roms only" option (which indeed filter roms on the .zip file extension) is that correct?
I ask you that because without this option set to "on", a .7z file WILL be correctly sent to mame!

Yep. With "Show available roms only" checked, mGalaxy shows an empty rom list. 7z files end up filtered. Unchecking that option makes all rom visible, including the 7z which end up being playable of course, but thats not very practical and imho there's no point displaying the unavailable roms. Heck, I remember when I used MAME for the first time, I've launched the mame.exe and saw the "all roms list" I was thrilled to play'em all but soon the joy had an end when I figured out I need actual rom files. :)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
Just to be sure:
When you tell me that mGalaxy doesn't support .7z files, you are talking of the "Show available roms only" option (which indeed filter roms on the .zip file extension) is that correct?
I ask you that because without this option set to "on", a .7z file WILL be correctly sent to mame!

Alan Ford

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:24:28 AM »
Hey, thanks for your quick reply. ;)

Anyways, what I forgot to mention is that I already did a batch rename last night. I decided to make the "early switch" to mGalaxy for a couple of my favorite roms. For that I used WinRar which has got a nifty little feature that quickly repacks all of my roms to .zip. The rest of roms are probably going to wait for mGalaxy's next version which I'm (considering the features you mentions) very thrilled about. If everything works out fine I'll be glad to buy Supporters Edition. ;)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:43:43 AM »
Thanks for your kind words!!

The forthcoming mGalaxy version will add this option: you'll be allowed to specify a rom folder and get the whole file list  regardless their file extension (users will have to be sure that this folder is "clean", so that a .jpeg file isn't send to mame, for instance)

In the meanwhile I would recommend you to check for a "file renamer" on Google.
Those application allow you to batch rename files and files extension.
Renaming a "pacman.7z" to "pacman.zip" won't affect the file itself..and I'm pretty sure that it would be a good solution for you.

Please check and tell me if it works for you!

Alan Ford

• Email
Support 7z
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
First of all I'd like to congratulate you on making this frontend on of the best (if not the best) out there. I've been experimenting/using a bunch of front-ends and can only say that mGalaxy is the best one when it comes to balance simplicity and features. Although, I'd like to see one thing that mGalaxy still fails to accomplish and that is the support of 7z archive. Currently only .zip archive is supported and I've got a huge collection of 7z roms which I don't want to convert (and loose gigabytes of hard drive). As time goes by, 7z is more and more common in the mame-rom community and has itself established as the compression of choice. So please, support 7z archives! thanks and keep up the good work! ;)