Poll

How would you like the roms from other emulators to be managed?

Just scan my 'roms' folder and display the files name 'as they are' in mGalaxy.
7 (87.5%)
Use a database (thus forcing me to conform to its naming convention).
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Opening mGalaxy to other emulators  (Read 24403 times)

rileyp88

Re: Opening mGalaxy to other emulators
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
You rule the emulation front-end. Simplicity is the key and you've got a sunning UI. I'm tech savvy but wish I had better fluidity in computing languages.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 03:30:18 AM »
Not for now...If there's one, that should be around October 15!

rash2236

• only arcade game
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
hello :) is a beta version expected ?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 03:51:24 PM »
Sure  :)
I'm working on mGalaxy "Runway" (which is the application to configure key mapping)
This will now be the full mGalaxy preferences application.
There, you'll still manage keymapping, but configure SIMPLY each "systems" too! (Application path, rom path, snap path, activate or not...for each emulators).
MAME will follow the same rules! For the first time (in mGalaxy ;)) MAME (and its folders) won't need to be in the same folder than mGalaxy (or vice-versa).

I'll be working on the main application from October 1!
The goal being to release mGalaxy at the end of that same month!

You know that we all want mGalaxy to stay as simple as possible!? So, no new button and key mapping to switch from an emulator to another: you'll simply press the button that is already used to quit (ESC on keyboard, Player 1 & Player 2 for arcade users). There you'll have the option to switch to another emulator..or to quit!
All the functionalities already present will be kept: for each emulator you'll get your "full" favorite list, your 10 most played and top 10 favorites lists.

That's all I can tell you for now :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:55:20 PM by mgalaxy »

rileyp88

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
I'm pretty exited about this implementation. Would you mind sharing your current progress??

samoansaiyan

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
Im with the scanning of the rom folder. I know its a clean and nice option to have the correct names and such, but man its a hassle useing clrnamepro and the dats with the xmls...... and that and this and him and her...........

yeah just scan the rom folder and the users can do the cleaning up and the renaming of the roms the old fashion way.

cheers ma-tee. ;)

rash2236

• only arcade game
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
HI mGalaxy

When you expect the new version ??

gonzo90017

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:51:35 PM »
Save yourself tons of support questions by just having Mgalaxy scan the roms folder.

One of the repeating issues I see with Hyperspin is new users always having a hard time setting it up initially because of this.

If you would like to make it a little more advanced I would take the Mamewah route.
Mamewah allows you a few options:
Code: [Select]
rom_folder = Which just scans the roms folder and displays what is found (useful for consoles)
rom_folder_vs_dat = scans the roms folder and displays those found in the dat file (usefull for other arcade emu's not named mame)
rom_folder_subfolders = this one is useful for cd base emulators like psx where games are in their own folders
rom_folder_vs_list_xmlfile = scans the roms folder and displays those found in the xml (mame only)

ntemis

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »
Mess and Mame went combined in latest news. So i would recommend to follow them.
So Mgalaxy for UME Ultimate Machine Emulator.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Opening mGalaxy to other emulators
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:51 AM »
Dear users and friends,

I'm planning to open mGalaxy to other emulators.

Before going further, I would like your comments/advices on that particular subject:
For now, mGalaxy runs MAME emulator and uses the native database built in each MAME version.
That database allows you to see all the available games...and forces you to conform your roms and screenshots names to the ones saved in that database.

From my first searches on other emulator systems (let's say SNES and PSX) it appears that many databases exist (logiqx, dat-o-matic, redump...) using different naming convention.
One told me that it might be complicated for the usual user to find romsets and screenshots corresponding to the chosen database?!

So...I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier for the usual user to have mGalaxy just scan their dedicated roms & screens folder and display the content as it is? (without relying on a database)

As I told you, I'm in the early stage in my reflection.
I'm perhaps missing some important points...or seing the situation more complicated that it actually is?! That's why your feedback and experience is very helpful to me, so please don't hesitate to give your point of view!
In the meanwhile I just set up a simple poll to check your wish.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:20:39 AM by mgalaxy »