Author Topic: Is there an option for vertical monitors?  (Read 8571 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Is there an option for vertical monitors?
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »
Still with multiple versions of mame possible in the next mgalaxy, a vertical romset and a separate horizontal set could accompany a true UI rotation nicely.

I'm planning to move the theme choice to the 'system' tab.
In clear, that mean that you'll decide which theme to run for each 'system'.
So, it will perfectly answer the situation that you're describing.
For that occasion, I will create a 'true' (as you call it) theme!

I hope that this update project will satisfy your expectation!
(now, it's just a question of time to implement it...I can't affirm you that it will be in the next release)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:39:26 PM by mgalaxy »

hint

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
Would also be interested in a "true" vertical option of the UI, although apart from mame wouldn't be of much use for any other emulator. Still with multiple versions of mame possible in the next mgalaxy, a vertical romset and a separate horizontal set could accompany a true UI rotation nicely.

donluca

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 08:33:08 AM »
Yes it does...I understand that it would be fine with your Mame setup..but mGalaxy being a multi-emulator frontend what about other emu running 'rotated' on a landscape display? Do they all offer the possibility of being rotated?

I completely missed that mGalaxy supports other emulators than MAME/MESS and other arcade ones.

Of course, they don't support rotated display because... well... there are no vertical games on home consoles :P (with the exception of some shmups ports, Dodonpachi on Saturn being one).

Still, I feel like this could be a trivial addition since you just have to put the UI sideways. If it proves to be a challenge than I can definitely live without it! :)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
Hopefully that clears it up!
Yes it does...I understand that it would be fine with your Mame setup..but mGalaxy being a multi-emulator frontend what about other emu running 'rotated' on a landscape display? Do they all offer the possibility of being rotated?

donluca

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 07:52:17 AM »
I believe that is a mame option to turn the screen sideways.

Different issues: one thing is desktop orientation at the OS level (and, as a consequence, in mGalaxy), the other is MAME. MAME has its own configuration which is independent to everything else.

Here I'm talking OS level: I've rotated the desktop but this created a lot of issues with custom resolutions and lost a couple of hours figuring out what the hell happened. In the end I somehow made it work, but I'd prefer to keep the original (landscape) orientation in windows and have mGalaxy setup in "true" vertical mode, meaning that even if the desktop orientation is landscape, the mGalaxy interface is turned sideways.

Hopefully that clears it up!

Ian

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
Just a heads up: I discovered that the "vertical theme" isn't actually vertical (meaning that I have to turn the monitor sideways), but has just a different layout.

As such I had to use a software to rotate the monitor which caused a lot of issues on my setup. I've figured them out, but I'd still love a "real" vertical theme.

I believe that is a mame option to turn the screen sideways.

donluca

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 01:46:43 PM »
Just a heads up: I discovered that the "vertical theme" isn't actually vertical (meaning that I have to turn the monitor sideways), but has just a different layout.

As such I had to use a software to rotate the monitor which caused a lot of issues on my setup. I've figured them out, but I'd still love a "real" vertical theme.

donluca

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:11:42 PM »
Oh man, I feel so dumb, I always forget about the Runway!

Thanks!

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Launch mGalaxy_Runway > Miscellaneous > choose the vertical theme in the theme drop-down menu > Save !

donluca

Is there an option for vertical monitors?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Hi, I was wondering if there's an option to rotate the UI so I can use it with a vertical monitor.

I've looked around in the options but couldn't find anything. :(