Author Topic: have a few questions about running this not in a cabinet  (Read 6990 times)

citizengodden

Re: have a few questions about running this not in a cabinet
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
well kind of, i guess my main question was if this would/will work as a htcp also. movies and music would be second in use to my emulators

mGalaxy will work as a front-end for anything really - but it is of course geared towards retrogaming emulators. There's nothing to say though that you couldn't amend the Systems.xml to include a new "emulator" (WMP for example) that could be pointed to a directory containing .AVIs or something else. mGalaxy, in it's most basic form, is a program that lists what's in a directory and executes a command on that list. You select a file from a directory - a command runs - you see the results.

Go to "My Computer" or equivalent. Type %appdata% into the location bar at the top. Go into the mGalaxy folder and check out the Systems.xml file. It should be fairly straightforward looking at the existing entries in the file to work out what you need to do to get it to work. Make sure you take a backup of the file before you change anything though!

If you're not sure what you're looking at - reply to the thread or PM me. Either way, myself or another member of the forum will be happy to get something working for you if you think mGalaxy alone is the best route for you.  :)
It's not easy being green.

wolfs1959

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
I'm afraid that you're confusing an emulators front end with a HTPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC) !?
mGalaxy is an emulator front-end (even if you could use it to launch movie!)...and yes, it launches games full-screen!

well kind of, i guess my main question was if this would/will work as a htcp also. movies and music would be second in use to my emulators

Aeliss

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 01:18:42 PM »
Personally I have tried some applications that make front end and media center (like GameEX).
But for movies nothing is better than an application that make only that (and not frontend for emulation).
Generally theses applications are heavy/greedy for nothing and I m not fond of their ergonomics, I don't need same controls and display if I want to browse movies or Games.

I prefer use an application made for games an one entirely thinked for medias (and not only movies)  like xbmc or plex, (even theses one arent the lighter applications ^^, strangely I need more "gadgets" to see 1 film than to play 10 games on Snes emulator.)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 03:58:51 AM »
I'm afraid that you're confusing an emulators front end with a HTPC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC) !?
mGalaxy is an emulator front-end (even if you could use it to launch movie!)...and yes, it launches games full-screen!

wolfs1959

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:53:45 PM »
also wondering (maybe a dumb question) if gameplay is in full screen because in the preview clip it only shows the "clips"

wolfs1959

• Email
have a few questions about running this not in a cabinet
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
ok im VERY NOT computer savvy. i am wanting a good front end for my living room. i would like to use all of my original controllers with my retrozone usb adaptors. this would be a dedicated computer for emulation and movies. would this front end be good for that alone. i have read on here that this doesn't support movies? this wouldnt be a problem because im sure that would be an updated version at some time but would be nice for a home entertainment type thing im wanting to do.

thanks in advance
wolf