Author Topic: DB Update & DB Edit  (Read 4627 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: DB Update & DB Edit
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 02:29:49 AM »
Hi reaperke,
Thanks for your feedback!
I think that there is a need for further clarification here! ;-)

- Frequent Connection Time-outs when updating
Unfortunately we can't do nothing about it...the data are taken from thegamesdb.net...which, from time to time, doesn't respond well!
A new db source is being added and other should follow!

When a game is not found the input button doesn't seem to do anything just moves to the next game
Sure! When a game is not found mGalaxy goes to the next one! What would you want to do?

A rom game name is submitted to the database. From there, 3 solutions:
1. the rom name matches a game name on the webserver and the data are imported (actually, this is more complex: the algorithm can recognize slightly different names - or mistyped names - as correct too)
2.the rom name partially matches a game name on the webserver, a possibly matching game list is submitted to you, you make your choice and the data are imported (or the game rom is skipped if you didn't find any match)
3.the rom name absolutely not matches anything on the webserver and mGalaxy passes to the next one

it's not very obvious that you need to double click a title from the suggestions
When a possibly matching game list is submitted to you, you have to choose a matching name then click the 'Input' button...or double click the item itself!
This info can be found on the video tutorial related to DB update (https://www.youtube.com/user/mGalaxyFE). The link to this video tutorial page may be found on the website tutorial page (http://www.mgalaxy.com/tutorial_mGalaxy.html)

If a database is created Titles are rarely changed and just list the rom name
Titles are never changed! I thing that you're misunderstanding the DB features of mGalaxy!?
mGalaxy is not a rom manager, it won't rename a rom or delete a rom or have any action on the rom itself.
So, you roms are listed as they can be found in your folder and this is the overall job of the DB update algorithm to find matches to them
You may thing that we could have change the way the name is displayed at least!? Changing "Pac-Man[JP][Beta]" to "Pac -Man" !?
But then Pac-Man [Eu], Pac-Man [JP], Pac-Man [US], Pac-Man [Beta],....would have been displayed like Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Pac-Man...and we don't want it!

if a name exists in the game title box I can't change it only going direct in xml works there, other fields seem fine
The same applies here

I hope that I have answered your questions and that it helped you get a better view of the update process!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:39:47 AM by mgalaxy »

reaperke

DB Update & DB Edit
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:14:29 PM »
Hi,

I love your new DB feature in 6.0 but it seems that it might still need a bit of work.

Some issues I've come across:
update db:
- Frequent Connection Time-outs when updating
- When a game is not found the input button doesn't seem to do anything just moves to the next game
- it's not very obvious that you need to double click a title from the suggestions
DB Edit:
- If a database is created Titles are rarely changed and just list the rom name
- if a name exists in the game title box I can't change it only going direct in xml works there, other fields seem fine

I've come across some other oddities I'll add them in