Author Topic: Manually Add Screenshots & Covers for Neo-Geo CD Roms  (Read 9620 times)

Ony86

Re: Manually Add Screenshots & Covers for Neo-Geo CD Roms
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »
Ok now I get it... I thought the name of the paths were for different type of files (like png, mp4 etc...) and for an "orderly" purpose (not mixing covers & screenshots...).
Thank you for clarifying that  :) !
Now I'll now that for any picture I want to display, I must put it in the "screenshots" folder, regardless of the type ^^

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
So it's not awkward it's just simple ^^
Yes it is ;)

Glad you get it working! :)
Just to clarify a little bit more: those terms (covers/logo/arts) indicate placeholders in the theme...not the content type of your folders!

You could set the path for 'Screenshots' to a folder containing logos and you would have logos displayed in the placeholder for 'Screenshots'
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:16:26 AM by mgalaxy »

Ony86

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 11:10:30 AM »
Aaarf I didn't know that!! So it's not awkward it's just simple ^^
Sorry for wasting your time then, I was unaware that the other paths (covers, logo, art...) were only for the premium users and for pointing the place of the different files in the more advanced themes... I feel like an idiot after trying to make it work for hours, as the solution was in fact really simple!
Now I'll keep that in mind ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:12:41 AM by Ony86 »

jmd

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »
That's quite an awkward solution
Not at all ! This is what you should have done since the beginning: reference the screenshots folder path for your screenshots!! ;)
As you don't own the Premium license and so is using the Base theme this is the only place where mGalaxy looks for screenshots (covers/logo/art paths are for Premium themes that are using extra media!)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 11:12:08 AM by mgalaxy »

Ony86

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 10:47:29 AM »
It's WORKING! The solution was quite unexpected...

I followed the advice of @Aeliss and edited the "UserSystems.xml" file, so that mGalaxy only displays .cue files (but I never had any sound or music problem working only with the .iso file, I use NeoRaine...).
Next, I renamed all the .png files with the name of the .cue files.
Tested --> not working  ::)

Then, I thougt of something: like for all other systems, I created two folders: one for the boxes covers, and one for the screenshots. But for the Neo-Geo CD, the "screenshots" folder is empty, but the path to that folder was indicated in mGalaxy Runway: maybe that was the cause? So I removed the path to the empty "screenshots" folder in mGalaxy Runway and let only the "covers" one, which contains the .png files.
Tested --> not working  :-\

After that I thought of reinstalling mGalaxy in another folder, just like @jmd adviced it. But before, I had the idea of trying to move the .png files from the "covers" folder to the "screenshots" folder, and re-adding the path to that last folder in mGalaxy Runway (I don't really know why but I just wanted to try in a desperate atempt to make it work).
Tested --> WORKING  :D :D :D

That's quite an awkward solution, but as it's working now I'm not going to complain ^^ ! I don't know why it's only working that way though... Maybe I didn't activate the "covers" for the Neo-Geo CD somewhere?

Anyway, thank y'all for your advices and ideas, this is definitely the best community, you always find somebody to give you a hand. Thank you!

Aeliss

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »
Take care, if you have cue file, always use them, if you load by iso file you can have lot of missing sound/music.
It's better to use cue file and edit the "UserSystems.xml" file to remove 'iso". And I m not sure there is an emulator that work only with iso file, or roms without cue on this system ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:36:49 AM by Aeliss »

jmd

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
mGalaxy is 'portable', that means that you can do another install somewhere else on your disk (so, not in the ProgramFiles folder) without losing your original installation!
That way you could quickly try whether it works or not with a simple NeoGeo CD test system!?

Ony86

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
I have the 6.2 version of december 2016, I think it's the latest...
Allright, if nothing works I'll try to reinstal it (but as I'll have to re-parameter every system in mGalaxy Runway I hope I won't have to do it and find another solution ^^!).
Thanks for the tip anyway, this will be my "last hope try"  :P

jmd

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »
Indeed they are... I really don't understand why it's not working... I also got the .zip file in the same folder, I tried to removed it to avoid some sort of conflict, but with no result...
Every picture is in PNG and with the same name of the iso file, just like in your "test" with Fire Suplex...
Do you have the latest mGalaxy build installed?
I'm not sure but there was a post some days (weeks!?) ago with a user complaining he couldn't see the snapshots and he got it working by downloading the installer again and installing a fresh mGalaxy..if I recall well ;)

Ony86

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »
@mgalaxy: Thanks a lot, I thought Screenscraper didn't support Neo-geo CD games too, as I tried to update the database using it with no result...
If I can't manage to add covers manually, I'll try again with Screenscraper as soon as it is fixed! Thanks again!

Ony86

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 07:48:17 AM »
Thus the snapshot should be named the same way as the .iso file and the format should be .png
If those 2 conditions are met you should see you snapshots!

Indeed they are... I really don't understand why it's not working... I also got the .zip file in the same folder, I tried to removed it to avoid some sort of conflict, but with no result...
Every picture is in PNG and with the same name of the iso file, just like in your "test" with Fire Suplex...

If you want to have the 2 files in the same folder, I would suggest you to edit the "C:\Program Files (x86)\mGalaxy\Data\UserSystems\UserSystems.xml" file.

Thank you for this tip, I'll try to do it and then rename the .png files with the name of the .cue, hopefully it'll work... But since it works for you with the .iso and not for me, I doubt it... Something else must be wrong in my case but I can't figure what  :-\

Still, thanks a lot for all your help, I'll keep in touch after I try with the .cue files!

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 07:40:48 AM »
I Have some problems trying to manually add some Screenshots and Covers for my Neo-Geo CD library in mGalaxy (I have to do it manually since both databases don't includes Neo-Geo CD Games).
This is 'normal' for TheGamesDB...but not 'normal' for Screenscraper! So I've contacted the web developer which is working on resolving this problem...I'll come back to you as soon as this is fixed!

jmd

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 05:56:38 AM »
Yes the games are displayed in mGalaxy and works flawlessly
You've moved the .cue files out of the rom folder, so what you see listed is the .iso file!
Thus the snapshot should be named the same way as the .iso file and the format should be .png
If those 2 conditions are met you should see you snapshots!

I've done a test with "3 Count Bout"
I've a folder named 'Roms', inside it another folder named '3 Count Bout (1995)(SNK)(Jp)[!][Fire Suplex]', inside it a .iso named '3 Count Bout (1995)(SNK)(Jp)(Track 01 of 27)[!][Fire Suplex].iso'
In my snap folder I've placed an image named '3 Count Bout (1995)(SNK)(Jp)(Track 01 of 27)[!][Fire Suplex].png'...and it works ;-)

I have the .cue files, but I've moved them in another folder, because otherwise each game was listed twice in mGalaxy (the .cue and the .iso files)
If you want to have the 2 files in the same folder, I would suggest you to edit the "C:\Program Files (x86)\mGalaxy\Data\UserSystems\UserSystems.xml" file.
Find the block beginning with:
Code: (xml) [Select]
<System guid="SNK NeoGeo CD........>In this block of code, edit this line:
<Cmd hidden="false" name="NeoRaine" value="-nogui &quot;%path\%file%ext&quot;" extensions=".cue,.iso,.zip" />...it should look like this to have .cue files only listed:
<Cmd hidden="false" name="NeoRaine" value="-nogui &quot;%path\%file%ext&quot;" extensions=".cue" />
Hope that it'll help! ;)

Ony86

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 05:36:41 AM »
Thanks for your quick answers!

@Aelis:
Yes the games are displayed in mGalaxy and works flawlessly, the only problem is the covers and screenshots that won't show up...
I have the .cue files, but I've moved them in another folder, because otherwise each game was listed twice in mGalaxy (the .cue and the .iso files). I moved them so mGalaxy displays only one time each game...
Do you think it will work if I put them again in their folder and name the pictures according to the .cue file? And if yes, how can I prevent mGalaxy displaying each game twice? I'm pretty sure that if I move the iso, the games won't launch...

@jmd:
Unfortunately no, I'm not a premium user for the moment (but I'm thinking about upgrading soon...). I'm aware of the drag & drop feature, but as a free user I don't have acess to the DB Editor, I must do it manually but it doesn't work for now... I can't figure why... Maybe Aelis as a point and I should try whith .cue files...  But then, even if it works I will have each game listed twice  :-\

jmd

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
I dowloaded some pictures, converted it as .png, and renamed each pictures with the name of the ROM.
Are you a Premium user? If yes, you're simply missing the awesome drag-and-drop media feature from mGalaxy! (a top feature, thanks mG!! ;) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP37Z184AbU

If you can see your roms listed in mGalaxRunway DB editor (if you can't, this is another problem), you simply have to drag and drop images (from your disk or from web-browser) to their place-holder.
mGalaxy will convert, resize, rename and put in correct folder in no time!!

I must precise that each neo-geo CD rom is located in a specific folder, inside another folder (example: neogeocdroms/aerofighter2). Each rom is composed of an ISO image, and several other .wav files. All files are numbered, and I named the pictures with the first one (example: Aero Fighters 2 (1994-09-29)(SNK)(Track 01 of 34)[!][NGCD-075, NGCD-075E], which is the name of the iso file used to launch the game).
You're doing it correctly! mGalaxy should see your .iso file and you should be able to see it listed in DB Edit...do you?