Author Topic: problems getting MAME going right.  (Read 4423 times)

zmf55

problems getting MAME going right.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 02:30:34 PM »
Apologies if any of this is wrong, I'm doing this from memory as I'm at work right now.  I'm having what appear to be common problems, but I'm unable to fix them using any of the threads here, or the videos, or the doc that came with mgalaxy.

MAME has been working well for a while, I just wanted a better front end.  So I installed mgalaxy, and clicked on what I thought was the right stuff without reading anything.  It worked except for favorites, so I read that part, and got it working (copy favorites to the mgalaxy MAME data folder).  Worked perfectly.  I ran the update db step changing the selection to not use the server since my system is not connected to the internet.  This didn't seem to affect it, but I didn't get the same prompts as shown elsewhere.

Then I noticed that it was using short names, not the full names.  So I read the setup and watched the video and copied the 2 .ini files into place, and ran the db thing AFTER making a new MAME setup in mgalaxy (so now I have two, and can enable/disable them for testing).  As long as it's not the reason for the problem, I'm glad I did this.  It's easy to see changes and differences.  This time I didn't change the db setting, and got the same popups/prompts as expected.  However, my favorites no long works.  It picks Frogger, and that's it.  I quit out, and favorites.ini just has Frogger in it, so I replace it with the good one and I get the same behavior.  I grab the one from MAME (with the header info in the file) or the one from my working mgalaxy MAME (no header info) and either way it gets replaced with just Frogger when I start up mgalaxy. 

I'm not sure why, and I've tried to do everything as I was supposed to.  I also tried putting the two ini files in my first MAME mgalaxy data dir, and rerunning the db thing, and I don't get proper full names, but I do get my favorites.  I'm considering just creating a small instance of MAME with only my favorites, just to get it working.

Thanks.  This is Windows 7, and I can look up the versions of other things later, if necessary.  Is an internet connection required?