Author Topic: mGalaxy 2.0 questions/bug + First impression  (Read 8150 times)

rash2236

• only arcade game
    • Email
Re: mGalaxy 2.0 questions/bug + First impression
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »
I found interesting sounds straight from the arcades
http://arcade.hofle.com/

tutimane

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:27:12 PM »
Hey thanks for replying so quickly.

The keys that I was talking about were for the mame emulator itself, it put it back to default but the gui i couldnt customize. I guess it was a one time thing because now in game the keys stay the way i set it up.

Yeah for music everything you said is totally what I imagined, how it plays randomly from a folder when you start up the program. The only idea i can add to it is having the front end show the track title in the gui like "Now Playing: Metal Slug 6 - Mission 3" although this isn't really needed it might give it that final touch. In the spirit of keeping everything simple which is great it shouldn't go past that i think. Like it shouldn't have any controls like next fast forward or pause. I like how you can use very little buttons to control the gui already.

all of this talk is inspiring me to hurry to finish my project sooner my friends are going to be amazed. I'm i'm sure my dad will be happy to play some old arcade games. Other guis which dont need to be named i guess are too loud, fancy and too "kid-ish" for me.

:)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 02:33:18 PM by tutimane »

rash2236

• only arcade game
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:59:27 AM »
This is a good idea mp3player and folder "mGalaxy_music" in mGalaxy  8)

Catlist version 0.143u4 http://www.progettoemma.net/?catlist
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:06:53 AM by rash2236 »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:19:44 AM »
Just one more thing about the background mp3 support:
How do you see it? How does the "others" use it?
I don't want to go into complex mp3 management inside mGalaxy (not that I'm lazy ;-)...but I absolutely want to keep it SIM-PLE).
I was thinking of a random track player...there would be a "mGalaxy_music" folder. People would drop what they want inside it, 1 tune, 10 tunes, ... and mGalaxy would randomly pick a tune to play it.
What do you think about it?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 05:56:10 AM »
tutimane,
Thanks very much for your kind words!! It's very rewarding for me to read you...and see that mGalaxy has met its public!!

MP3:
It should indeed be part of the next update...(I was already working on it for the mGalaxy v1.3 update...when I decided to totally re-write mGalaxy)
BIOS:
BIOS detection (as well as all other filters...and the "Genre" list in general) are all processed by reading the 'catver.ini' file. This file (which you can download here: http://www.progettoemma.net/?catlist) gives a 'category' to each rom...thus allowing filtering on it). Simply download it to your Mame folder, along mGalaxy)
MINI BUG:
I suppose that you're talking about the key assignments that you've done with mGalaxy Runway?
If so, this is strange because there's no support for custom key assign with this v2.0 version (it will follow quickly too)..the user is 'forced' to use the default key mapping, so I don't know how you succeeded to customize it?!
Please tell me more about it.
USING IT FOR YOUR PROJECT:
Good luck in your project..and please do not hesitate to tell me if you meet problems (or success) with it.  mGalaxy has not been tested in this configuration and I'm curious to have your feedback about it!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:24:36 AM by mgalaxy »

tutimane

• Email
mGalaxy 2.0 questions/bug + First impression
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
LOVING MGALAXY
I want to first mention how easy and simple mGalaxy is. Thanks a lot for making this program. I'm used to working with other complicated front ends but when I tried this one out my headaches went away completely. I love it and i love when the female says "Launching  Game". Btw I found out about mGalaxy through http://www.mameworld.info/

Usually i like to customize every little aspect of these things but mGalaxy is pretty zen like, in the sense that its minimalistic , removes clutter and any other types of front end problems that it may come with.

MP3?
I was hoping to find out if there would be any simple support for playing mp3's in the front end. I was hoping to add a sort of arcade ambiance mp3 or even music from metal slug to fit the feeling of the front end. I have been on the simplest and weirdest ported emulators for dreamcast and wii and they both play audio. maybe this front end does play audio but i missed the information somewhere?

BIOS STILL SHOWING
There was another thing i noticed and maybe its a bug in 2.0 but I have my bios's in the roms directory and even with the mgalaxys menu to hide bios's they still pop up. btw im using mameuifx 64 bit version for mame .144. I also have show only available in the options for mgalaxy.

mini bug:
mGalaxy has replaced my mame controls to default setting. but I remapped them and it works again.

Besides all that i think im done searching for a good mame front end  ;D i really like this one its actually relaxing.

Using it for my project:
My plan is to get an ultra thin laptop or mini pc and have a cord to hook up to a tv with rca cables or hdmi and it will be an "arcade console" where it will play on any tv. thats why your front end streching to any size is also great. thanks for this awesome front end! Maybe I will release a video of it when i'm done, whenever I choose the right laptop and controllers.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 04:48:23 AM by tutimane »