Author Topic: Is This The Only Way To Clean Up Names in Menu?  (Read 5010 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Is This The Only Way To Clean Up Names in Menu?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 04:09:13 AM »
Do you have any timeframe for when this feature may be released, I was just about to spend the next week going through my .xml files to clean up the descriptions, but if that feature will be out sometime soon then I'll wait.

Thanks for all the feature updates, by the way!
Thanks for your feedback skuskowski!
I have no idea on the release date for the next mGalaxy version but..I've written you a little utility to clean up your xmlout.xml file from parenthesis and brackets (and their content of course)

Just pick your xml file and in 2 seconds your 33000 MAME game entries will have their description cleaned up!
I hope that it'll help you ;-)

skuskowski

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »
Do you have any timeframe for when this feature may be released, I was just about to spend the next week going through my .xml files to clean up the descriptions, but if that feature will be out sometime soon then I'll wait.

Thanks for all the feature updates, by the way!

WishItWas1984

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 10:30:22 PM »
mGalaxy - Well that makes complete and total sense. I didn't think of that. Yeah a way to edit within mGalaxy would be a neat feature in the future. Looking forward to it!

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:17:41 AM »
This will clearly be fixed with next version!!

1. We wanted to avoid roms named "pacman.zip", "pacman(beta).zip, "pacman(v2).zip" to be displayed "pacman", "pacman", "pacman".
   That's the reason why the name of the rom was always used for the description (apart from Mame, of course)
   This will change with next version: the user will have the choice to display the rom name or the description (given by the web server DB)
   That way, "Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest (Europe) (En,Fr) (Rev 1)" wil display "Donkey Kong Country 2 - Diddy's Kong Quest"

2. You'll get the option to clean the description name too, removing parenthesis and brackets
    That way, "1942 (Revision B)" will display "1942"

WishItWas1984

Is This The Only Way To Clean Up Names in Menu?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 11:33:30 PM »
For the longest time I've hated the ugly "ROM" names in the scrolling menu. Such a great looking frontend experience ruined by "(EURO, rev 2) blah blah". :)

Anyway, I figured out how to fix it, but I'm wondering if there's an easier way. Something tells me no, and this is all manual.

What I'm doing is opening my mGalaxy 6 Favorites.ini file, then opening the MAME folders "xmlout" file in an XML editor.

I search the XML file for the description matching my favorite, then I edit the names in both to match exactly.

For example, I find "1942 (Revision B)" in the XML. Then I edit the Description tag in the XML to just "1942", then I edit the Favorites.ini to "1942". Save both & done.

Now to repeat this 190 more times. *CRY* lolol