Author Topic: NES, SNES, GENESIS, SMS - USA/EU/FR - NoIntro/NoBeta/NoProto  (Read 3226 times)

cpasjuste

NES, SNES, GENESIS, SMS - USA/EU/FR - NoIntro/NoBeta/NoProto
« on: December 14, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
Hi,

Today i did spent a few time to build some SNES, NES, GENESIS and SMS databases mainly for french users, and i tough it would be great to share them.

- No-intro roms only (good working roms) http://www.no-intro.org/
- USA, EURO and FR language only roms
- No beta/prototype roms

Hope you'll enjoy !

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: NES, SNES, GENESIS, SMS - USA/EU/FR - NoIntro/NoBeta/NoProto
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 06:51:08 AM »
Hi cpasjuste,

Thanks for sharing your work with the community! This is greatly appreciated!
I won't post the databases on the 'official' databases forum now (but will ask you to submit it again in a few days/weeks if you don't mind), the reason being that:
- new fields will be added to the database with the new mGalaxy version.
- in your databases some fields are missing..and other shouldn't be there ;-)

The new mGalaxy version will incorporate a database 'Export' (and 'Import') button...so you'll be sure that the exported format will be right!

The new structure should be:

Code: XML
  1. <dbase name="Nintendo SNES" version="1.0">
  2.   <game name="Accele Brid (Japan)" cloneof="">
  3.     <description>Accele Brid</description>
  4.     <overview>Players progress through the game as a robot racing through a pipe, shooting everything that moves. The robot can shoot from both arms, jump, kick and punch. There are also power-ups and bonuses that can be collected to upgrade the robot's weapons and armor...</overview>
  5.     <genre>Action, Shooter</genre>
  6.     <players>1</players>
  7.     <coop>No</coop>
  8.   </game>
  9. </dbase>
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 06:53:34 AM by mgalaxy »

cpasjuste

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 07:21:58 AM »
Hi,

I was too lazy to remove the unneeded line since it work fine as this. I'll clean that when the new database format is online. Else i was going to develop a very basic utility to parse clrmamepro dat files and filter/export to mGalaxy format, i guess it would'nt be useful with next release ?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 07:55:05 AM »
Else i was going to develop a very basic utility to parse clrmamepro dat files and filter/export to mGalaxy format, i guess it would'nt be useful with next release ?
Actually, the next mGalaxy version will include a database creator and manager. The main goal is to retrieve information - based on your roms' folder items!! - from thegamesdb.com (and surely giantbomb.com too) databases...then complete missing items/info manually.

We are talking about:
A description (name), an overview, a screenshot, an 'extra' media, players, co-op and genre info!

All those attributes will be -of course- manually editable!

I must confess that I don't know clrmamepro that much...what would it allow/add to the scenario I just described to you?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:59:15 AM by mgalaxy »

cpasjuste

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 10:49:04 AM »
Well, it does not offer a lot of useful options for mGalaxy, in fact i was mainly using it to parse "clrmamepro" databases files created from datomatic (http://datomatic.no-intro.org/?page=download&fun=dat) which does provide some filtering capability and export them as xml for mGalaxy (clrmamepro also offer a way to validate your rom set, missing ones and much more in fact). This also allow you to filter unwanted roms without actually deleting/moving them or doing it manually.

So to resume my process was :
- export clean/filtered clrmamepro dat format from datomatic
- import in clrmamepro and scan from missing rom etc
- export to xml format for mGalaxy (with a few changes needed...)

I think you should add a function to be able to import an clrmamepro dat/xml as a start instead of a directory, this would allow people to use any clrmamepro databases which i think are common (and/or easily share rom databases than can be checked with clrmamepro). The (clrmamepro exported) .xml format should be really easy/fast for you to add, while it may require more time to add the (clrmamepro) .dat format and may be useless.

You'll find an clrmamepro xml file format below in case...

Edit: i added a screenshot of clrmamepro in use just "for fun", here we can see that i'm only missing 4 snes and 10 genesis roms from the (filtered: us,eu,fr) no-intro sets, while i does have a lot more roms in the folders (japan, bresil, etc..)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 10:59:21 AM by cpasjuste »