Author Topic: Very slow to startup mgalaxy  (Read 4842 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Very slow to startup mgalaxy
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:40:32 AM »
If your app is checking each file one at a time, maybe try generating an entire file listing (eg: dir /b /s *.zip *.chd) and then check each database entry with that cached file list.
The rom list is already parsed in one shot of course!
There's no writing in the rom folder and using a shared folder doesn't impact the opening speed (I just made the test again before replying you)...so I really don't know whare the problem should come in your case!?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 09:44:36 AM by mgalaxy »

badbob001

Very slow to startup mgalaxy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:26:53 AM »
When I start up mgalaxy, the screen remain black for more than ten minutes. Since I have it use the mame database, I assume the big delay is from the app parsing my rom folder to check if each rom in the database exists? What doesn't help is that my roms are on a network share, which would slow things down more.

Does mgalaxy need write access to the rom folder? On one computer with read/write access to the rom folder, mgalaxy comes up in about a minute. But on the computer with only read access, it takes a very long time.

Is there a way to optimize this? If your app is checking each file one at a time, maybe try generating an entire file listing (eg: dir /b /s *.zip *.chd) and then check each database entry with that cached file list.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:48:35 AM by badbob001 »