Author Topic: mG runs mame, ROMs not being found.  (Read 9117 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: mG runs mame, ROMs not being found.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:46:06 AM »
You're welcome!
Glad to have an happy mGalaxy users  ;)

mafu2501

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:06:15 AM »

mGalaxy Breaking News!

I'm a drooling moron. I had my actual roms in c:\mame\roms\roms\.  This might be problematic.

Thanks for the prompt responses though, they are no less than appreciated.

mafu2501

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:02:49 AM »
mafu2501

First reflection: since your "roms" folder is at the same level than your Mame app, you wouldn't have need to use the "create_mame_ini.bat", you can simply delete it if you want...but this is just a detail.
Secondly: are you sure that your roms are up to date with your v0.123 Mame version?
You know that each new version of Mame comes with some update on roms too, do you?
So, you must be sure that your roms version and Mame version are synced.

To be sure, I would like you to:
1) download the mGalaxy AIO (all in one), then extract it. http://www.mgalaxy.com/downloads/mGalaxy_AIO.exe
2) put in the rom folder of this newly extracted folder this rom (attached below).
3) Then launch mGalaxy and choose "1942 (set 1)"...and tell us what's happening  ;)

On your first point, that was kind of what I thought too.  I just didn't want to post asking for help without trying everything.

Continuing on, I double checked to make sure I'm using a version .123 romset and this appears to be the case. I was able to verify this by going into the roms directory and running `..\mame.exe` from there (with my problematic install), supplying the rom name and it worked for everything I tried.  clrmamepro verified everything else against the dat from teh version I'm working with. 

Conversely, with the AIO package and verified rom you recommended I try, I am able to run `mame 1942` from the executable directory and it goes without a hitch.

So, this is seeming like a path issue to me at this point, rather than a problem with mGalaxy... MAME, I'm looking directly at you right now.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 02:52:48 AM »
mafu2501

First reflection: since your "roms" folder is at the same level than your Mame app, you wouldn't have need to use the "create_mame_ini.bat", you can simply delete it if you want...but this is just a detail.
Secondly: are you sure that your roms are up to date with your v0.123 Mame version?
You know that each new version of Mame comes with some update on roms too, do you?
So, you must be sure that your roms version and Mame version are synced.

To be sure, I would like you to:
1) download the mGalaxy AIO (all in one), then extract it. http://www.mgalaxy.com/downloads/mGalaxy_AIO.exe
2) put in the rom folder of this newly extracted folder this rom (attached below).
3) Then launch mGalaxy and choose "1942 (set 1)"...and tell us what's happening  ;)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:54:49 AM by mgalaxy »

mafu2501

• Email
mG runs mame, ROMs not being found.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »

I'm having a bit of trouble with mGalaxy and/or my MAME configuration.

For starters, here's how I installed:

Using mamedev.org Windows commandline baseline binaries version .123, extracted in c:\mame
extracted mGalaxy 1.2 zip file to c:\mame
extracted mGalaxy database archive for version .123 to c:\mame
moved MAME .123 roms and CHDs (fullsets) to c:\mame\roms
moved snapshots catalog to c:\mame\snap
ran create_mame_ini.bat from http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.msg213#msg213

So, when I run mGalaxy, mame.exe executes properly, however, promptly exits out. I am not able to capture what it does within mG, however, when I run a commadline of `mame.exe mslug5.zip` for instance, it can find neither the rom or the BIOS for neogeo, which suggests that perhaps the execution is halting when it is unable to find these things from the mG execution. Or I could be totally wrong. For completeness, I also tried putting the path of c:\mame\roms on the line for rompath in the mame.ini file, however, that didn't seem to affect the situation.

I'll also put my words of encouragement in here as well. This is an excellent, easy to use and work with front-end that does more than many with less confusion. I'm switching over from AtomicFE, which has been great for awhile in my cabinet, unfortunately, lacking actual MAME execution, I can't very well make a full on switch yet, but getting the listing and snaps up and going were easier than a breeze... :)