Author Topic: [MAME] ROM names instead of "real" names being displayed  (Read 16116 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: [MAME] ROM names instead of "real" names being displayed
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
what do I need to still do to get the roms names to display properly and what do I need to select in runaway?

You simply have to check 'Use database file' in mGalaxy_Runway for the MAME system!

Stal8080

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 04:17:41 PM »
new window appears, choose 'mGalaxy' in the drop-down menu then 'Save List to file'
(your file must be named 'xmlout.xml' and saved into the mGalaxy 'Data' > 'Multi-system [MAME]' folder)

Where is this folder???  Is it only accessible with rom lister?

Provided you have installed mGalaxy in the default program folder, the path is:
Program Files (x86)\mGalaxy\Data\Multi-system [MAME]

Thanks found the folder---duh!!!   Any way if I download your xml file from this thread :
http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9a6d372224e462ff0b9cffa322ff5e1c&topic=805.0

place it in the folder, what do I need to still do to get:

The roms names to display properly and what do I need to select in runaway?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
new window appears, choose 'mGalaxy' in the drop-down menu then 'Save List to file'
(your file must be named 'xmlout.xml' and saved into the mGalaxy 'Data' > 'Multi-system [MAME]' folder)

Provided you have installed mGalaxy in the default program folder, the path is:
Program Files (x86)\mGalaxy\Data\Multi-system [MAME]

Stal8080

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 03:23:44 PM »
 [/quote]new window appears, choose 'mGalaxy' in the drop-down menu then 'Save List to file'
[/quote]

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 08:55:31 AM »
Here's a v0.164* database that I've created using 'RomLister' (I remind everyone that 'RomLister' can output file to mGalaxy database format!!)
xmlout mame v0.164

To create a full game database with RomLister:
  • Launch RomLister ;-)
  • Click 'Settings and Tools' button.
  • In the 'Merge Utility' panel, browse to your latest mame.exe, controls.xml, catver.ini, nplayers.ini...then click 'Merge' button.
  • Click 'Set' button to go back to the main window.
  • There, click the 'List all ROMs' button...and wait!
  • You now have a new window with the full rom list.
    • Select all of them (click on the first item to select it, navigate to the end of the list, press the 'Shift' key on your keyboard and while holding it select the last item of the list...all the items are now selected)
    • Right-click on the selection and choose 'Add to your list'...and wait!
  • A new window appears, choose 'mGalaxy' in the drop-down menu then 'Save List to file'

* Actually, the mame and nplayers databse are up to date to v0.164...catver.ini latest version is v0.161
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:03:15 AM by mgalaxy »

android

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 07:34:52 AM »
Alright, I'll use an older version of mame for the time being :)

Thank you for your help. I look forward to future updates ;)

UPDATE:

Using mame 159 didn't resolve the issue alone. I had to use your database file. But now everything is being displayed correctly!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 07:46:03 AM by android »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:00:39 AM »
V164...OK
The fact is that 'Catver.ini' is structured differently from .159 version (http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum/index.php?topic=731.msg2784#msg2784) PLUS mame output XML was changed too since v0.162! (http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum/index.php?topic=768.msg2978#msg2978)

I've already updated mGalaxy to handle the new Catver.ini file..but not the mame output file!
I would suggest you to get back to an older version of mame the time I work on an mGalaxy update.
If it can help here is a link to my v0.158 database...to be used in the meanwhile:
http://www.mgalaxy.com/other/xmlout.zip
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 03:02:57 AM by mgalaxy »

android

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:05:51 AM »
I'm running Mame 0164, the latest version as of this writing.
I've tried it with the latest catver.ini and nplayers.ini too. When I check "use database file" mGalaxy says "Filters returned an empty gamelist".

Even when ignoring any filtering options, mGalaxy always uses the .zip's names.

Out of desperation I've reinstalled mGalaxy and Mame. I've set it up again and I'm still having the same issue. I made sure to clean my temp, fix my registry and reboot beforehand. No luck.

mGalaxy's xmlout.xml is basically empty if that helps you out
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<dbase version="0.164 (Jul 29 2015)" name="Multi-system [MAME]"/

Systems.xml says about mame:
-<System Type="Arcade">

<Name>Multi-system [MAME]</Name>

<AppPath>D:\mame 164\mame.exe</AppPath>

<RomPath>D:\mame 164\roms</RomPath>

<SnapPath/>

<VidPath/>

-<Emu selected="0">

<Cmd value="-rompath "%path" %file%ext -volume -%volume(32,0) -skip_gameinfo -nowindow" name="MAME" id="0"/>

</Emu>

<Extensions>.zip,.7z,.chd</Extensions>

<Active>True</Active>

<Script>True</Script>

<Database>False</Database>
I've unchecked "use database file" for now since when I check it, no roms are being displayed at all.

Well I guess I should have said "gamelist" editor instead of database editor .. It was very early in the morning

I was talking about that:

You can rename, rearrange and remove items from the gamelist. You can add as many lists as you want (e.g. Classics, Modern Games, Favorites)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:29:14 AM by android »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 02:47:45 AM »
I've followed the instructions on how to set up mame on the website closely...But as you can see, the .zip names are being displayed instead of the game's names
Which version of Mame are you using? Is Catver, nPlayers updated to this version too?
Are you sure that you have checked "Use Database File" inside mGalaxyRunway? ;-)
Could you send me your database file please?

I've used Maximus Arcade for a long time until it stopped working. I always found it to be slow and resource heavy. However, I really liked the database editing function. It was very easy to manage, delete or rename the database.
Just curious to know: what's the 'database editing function' please? I searched on the net and only found that

Is it what you're talking about?

I'd really love a similar function to edit the gameslist in mGalaxy.
I don't know if it'll be 'similar' but I'm working on a database editor/creator.
This is the 'editor' (in beta stage):

android

[MAME] ROM names instead of "real" names being displayed
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
Hello folks!

So far, mGalaxy looks really good. But I have an issue ...

I've followed the instructions on how to set up mame on the website closely. I've ran mGalaxy as an admin and I even moved the installation folder (not in C:\Programs\ anymore). I don't get any error messages too. But as you can see, the .zip names are being displayed instead of the game's names:

Next up: a request!

I've used Maximus Arcade for a long time until it stopped working. I always found it to be slow and resource heavy. However, I really liked the database editing function. It was very easy to manage, delete or rename the database. I'd really love a similar function to edit the gameslist in mGalaxy.

Do that and I'll happily offer my help with translating mGalaxy into the german language ;)

Cheers