Author Topic: mGalaxy needs more updates  (Read 7859 times)

O_G

Re: mGalaxy needs more updates
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 04:17:29 PM »
I've been using mGalaxy for a few months now, it's one of the best frontend packages I've used to date. I've had a few issues related to specific MAME romsets (I use 0.139u1, as this is the latest working Android build, and prefer to use the same romset across devices), and download their corresponding artwork/covers.

Being updated regularly doesn't make software value for money, especially if everything works. Sure major version updates are understandable, but not bugfixes for existing features. For example, the issues I've had regarding artwork/covers, I have since discovered this issue is related to being able to log into the server, a issue fixed in version 8. This issue relates to a existing feature to version 7.x, adding the ability to login to the server is potentially a bugfix, yet it has been introduced into a major update. It essentially leaves those who purchased a version 7.x, with a "broken" application. This isn't very fair, and has somewhat put me off purchasing a premium licence. It also took over 6 months for this to be addressed, which does IMHO seem like an excessive amount of time for something relatively crucial to a feature of mGalaxy to be fixed.

I respect the developer's choice in how they licence their software, but it does put me off purchasing. $45 to some is very little, but to others that is a huge amount of money! The current paid version appears to focus on skins, something personally I'm not overly bothered about, for me full feature functionality is way more important. It would be nice to see some sort of open beta project, allowing those who are unable to support the devs by means of funds, to give back a little. Possibly this group could have full feature ability, allowing new features to be fully tested on a multitude of devices. A win, win for both Dev and user.

Regarding the latest version 8 download, when will that become available to free users?

WishItWas1984

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 01:34:14 AM »
More updates doesn't mean better.
For me mGalaxy is near perfect

I'm finding this late, but I also agree.

I've been using mGalaxy since before Launchbox existed. It was a MAME frontend and the best one as it was clean, well designed, and not a bloated mess like all of the other options.

By being the best option for me regarding MAME, I was happy to pay yearly and am thrilled to be able to pay $45 to use this for life.

Once upon a time you bought software and got was was in the box and only bug fixes. Programmers are bending over backwards because of piracy and offer A LOT for lifetime updates that normally you'd be paying for in update packs.

This kind of entitled mentality isn't good. There's no default number of updates anyone is owed via a license. mGalaxy is not Launchbox and both are work the money considering the quality, features, and hard work that was put into creating them.

jmd

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 09:07:24 AM »
More updates doesn't mean better.
For me mGalaxy is near perfect
I second this!!

Azgorath

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2019, 01:18:29 PM »
Yeah you absolutely right about the "most straightforward and easy go frontend" part and thats the main reason why mGalaxy is so awesome. Its just that the lack of updates (between 1 and 3 updates a year) makes it feel like you, the developers, don't care that much about your own program or the people who buy a premium license for it (It's just how I personally feel about ANY piece of software, especially freemium software, that isn't updated for such a long period of time). However, with that said, I understand that you guys do have a personal life too that can take up a lot of your time which is possibly why updates are so few. In any case, I was mainly just wondering if mGalaxy was still being worked on as there's been no updates for over half a year on your twitter, facebook and youtube accounts or if it was discontinued but you confirmed its still active. Thank you. As for any new feature suggestions, only retroachievement features in the far future if possible but if not then no worries. The current features I love the most in mGalaxy are the ambient sounds, online radio and the bedroom, gba and arcade room themes.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 01:26:43 PM by Azgorath »

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 11:46:04 AM »
Yes, mGalaxy is still under development. I'm currently working on a SNES specific theme.
mGalaxy is aimed to be the most straightforward and easy go frontend, that's the reason why always think twice before adding "gadgets" to it. So, I'm just curious to know: what feature(s) would you like to be implemented in a future release? What is missibg you the most?

Azgorath

mGalaxy needs more updates
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
Hi guys.

Is mgalaxy still active at all? I've had the yearly license for almost a year and since then only 2 updates have been released, one of which was only a minor bugfix update. At the time of this post, I feel like I wasted $18 for a yearly license, even though the current features in mgalaxy 7.5 are amazing. Anybody else feel the same way? Launchbox gets updated FAR MORE frequently than any other frontend which is why I've never regretted spending $50 on a lifetime license for it. If mGalaxy could just be updated A LOT more often, I would be more than happy to purchase a $45 lifetime license for it as well. What are your thoughts guys?