Author Topic: New mGalaxy User - I Have a Couple Problems  (Read 13099 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: New mGalaxy User - I Have a Couple Problems
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:34 AM »
It worked great. It raised/lowered the volume as I selected different values, and when I exited and restarted it, the value stuck. Well done!
Thanks ;-)

How long do you think for this fix to reach the Supporter's Edition files?
It's already done

And as a side note, out of curiosity, when the regular Free mGalaxy is updated, will the Supporter's Edition also be available without having to donate all over again? I ask because I noticed there was a limit of 2 downloads when I bought Black Steel last night.
You'll be notified by mail on each new release and your counter will be reset to "2"...without having to donate again..except if you want to!! :)

WishItWas1984

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »
Would you please download and replace "old" files with those one..and tell me if that's better?
Thanks

http://www.mgalaxy.com/downloads/mGalaxy.exe

It worked great. It raised/lowered the volume as I selected different values, and when I exited and restarted it, the value stuck. Well done!

How long do you think for this fix to reach the Supporter's Edition files?

And as a side note, out of curiosity, when the regular Free mGalaxy is updated, will the Supporter's Edition also be available without having to donate all over again? I ask because I noticed there was a limit of 2 downloads when I bought Black Steel last night.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 05:09:37 PM »
Would you please download and replace "old" files with those one..and tell me if that's better?
Thanks

http://www.mgalaxy.com/downloads/mGalaxy.exe

WishItWas1984

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »
Sorry, I updated the WMP first once I realized my arcade was running version 9. Once I updated it to version 11, the MP3 files played just fine! Thank You!! :)
OK, fine...but what about the numbers that was greyed out!! Are your settings retained (and displayed properly) from one session to another?

Ahhh, some troubleshooter I am. I figured once it was running all was good and I shutdown for the day.

Just tested it and no, the volume settings do not "stick" when you exit mGalaxy and restart it. Upon restarted all music volume settings are greyed out.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 04:32:27 AM »
Sorry, I updated the WMP first once I realized my arcade was running version 9. Once I updated it to version 11, the MP3 files played just fine! Thank You!! :)
OK, fine...but what about the numbers that was greyed out!! Are your settings retained (and displayed properly) from one session to another?

WishItWas1984

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 04:30:35 AM »
I found another issue that I managed to figure out. I figure I'd post it here just to add to the solutions available to anyone else in the future.

After typing out all of my favorites, I had a few that still wouldn't show up. Turns out it was because the game name in MAME was not the name mGalaxy was looking for. Specifically this related to games that started with "The", like "The Real Ghostbusters". In MAME it was listed as "Real Ghostbusters, The". Once I typed in the favorite as "The Real Ghostbusters", it (and the others like it) showed up just fine.

Well that's about it for me. mGalaxy is working great. Now to get some sleep and tomorrow load up the black steel skin. :)

WishItWas1984

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »
1) Could you try to set music volume to the maximum (10) and see if this setting is preserved?
2) Is "Window Media Player" v10 or higher installed on your PC?

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 01:28:33 AM »
Thanks as well for saying you'll take a look into the music problem. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it would be pretty cool to get up and running. Running mGalaxy with the Arcade Ambiance soundtracks will really flesh out the arcade experience. :)

1) Could you try to set music volume to the maximum (10) and see if this setting is preserved?
2) Is "Window Media Player" v10 or higher installed on your PC?

WishItWas1984

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 11:44:04 PM »
(snip)
I hope that it is more clear to you now..and that you'll see the benefit of it!

I will check tomorrow about your #2 problem

I see. While I do understand the benefit of using the game name, I think supporting both would have been best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we've all been creating favorites over the years using MAME, which catalogs them by ROM name, wouldn't it also be beneficial to support the existing structure as well? Just my opinion/suggestion. This is your baby so as long as it's working, I can't complain. :)

At the very least, I would suggest putting this information, as well as the ability to remap mGalaxy keys with the other EXE, on the Tutorial page.

With that said, I do really appreciate the explanation. Your program is very slick and with this last major issue ironed out for me, I'm going to donate and properly set this up as my arcade frontend going forward.

Thanks as well for saying you'll take a look into the music problem. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it would be pretty cool to get up and running. Running mGalaxy with the Arcade Ambiance soundtracks will really flesh out the arcade experience. :)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »
WishItWas1984,

The "favorite" list is populated by pressing "Button 1" while browsing the game list (as explained in the video tutorial and keychart picture)
Indeed, that's the game name that is saved, and there's a reason for that: the rom name may change from one version of Mame to another...but not the game name!
Thus, saving the game name allows you to be sure that you will keep your favorite game list intact, even if the rom name change (mGalaxy "knows" how to map the game to the new rom name!)
I hope that it is more clear to you now..and that you'll see the benefit of it!

I will check tomorrow about your #2 problem
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:49:54 PM by mgalaxy »

WishItWas1984

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
UPDATE: #1....kinda solved? I saw a file in the Application Data area for mGalaxy. It was called "mg_Favorites". I pasted in the MAME Favorites file data into that and ran mGalaxy.

Favorites worked, but only showed 7 of 160-ish games.

What I noticed when I opened the mg_Favorites file again, was that the game names were full names. "Berserk" "Frogger" "Superman" etc..

What I figured out was that MAME's Favorites file lists games by their ROM names....mg_Favorites uses the "Game Name"!!!

So now I have to open MAME and while looking at my Favorites list, type in each and every title as I see it. Man that is going to be REALLY annoying.

WishItWas1984

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »
UPDATE: #3 solved! I ran the mGalaxy_Runway file and noticed the Exit mGalaxy button was mapped to ESC. No wonder why ESC worked ;)...but the video tutorial said the Player 2 button would work. Anyway, a quick remap to an unused pinball button on my SlickStik did the trick.

WishItWas1984

New mGalaxy User - I Have a Couple Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
Hi. Brand new to mGalaxy. Was using HyperSpin, but I wanted something that wasn't too demanding, PC power-wise. This looks to be the quick, simple and clean frontend I need. Now onto the issues....

1) I get an error in mGalaxy when trying to show the Favorites list. It says it is empty. However in MAME itself I see everything just fine. For MAME the Favorites file is in a subfolder called "Folders". When set to "All", mGalaxy sees everything.

2) Music won't play. I put MP3 files into the subdirectory mGalaxy made upon installation, and when I run it I see the MP3 file name in the lower right with a speaker icon. No sound though. I checked the preferences in mGalaxy and for "Music Volume" all of the numbers are greyed out. When I click one and exit, I still here no sound. Upon re-running mGalaxy, the Music Volume values are greyed out again.

I get game audio and the MP3s worth outside mGalaxy.

3) For some reason my Player 2 button won't bring up the mGalaxy shutdown prompt. It will exit out of the settings menu in mGalaxy just fine, and it is mapped to the 2 key. I'm using an old SlikStik. Weird. Right now I use my wireless keyboards ESC key to bring up the prompt....which by the way, my Player 2 button works on as well. :)

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 04:29:28 AM by WishItWas1984 »