Author Topic: Database Problems  (Read 370 times)

brett7481

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
    • Email
Database Problems
« on: January 19, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
Ok, First of all, please know I'm new to MAME and all of this, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Second, I've been watching the videos, reading the tutorials, and searching the forums, but can't seem to find anything that helps me resolve my problems.

So, here's what's going on. When I update the database if I update it connected to one of the online databases I get thousands of games listed in my database that I don't have. If I update by folder contents only, just my roms are listed, but I can never get the media to update or the "real names" listed.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, can I rename my Roms to easier to follow names? What naming protocols must be observed?

mgalaxy

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 868
    • Email
Re: Database Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
Creating a MAME database works in 2 times.
First step is to create a (full) database that will substitue the abbreviated rom name with the full length game name:
- Open the "DB UPDATE" tab. Click on the "Update everything" button.
- Click "First step..." button

Second step, collect game info on webserver. If you want to restrict it to a set a rom you'll have to get the "Premium" version, then:
- Open the "DB EDIT" tab. Select all the roms you own
- Back to the "DB UPDATE" tab. Change the "Update everything" button to "Update selected games only" and click on it
- Click "Second step..." button
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:14:53 PM by mgalaxy »