Author Topic: Multiple directories in MAME 'roms' mGalaxy configuration crashes mGalaxy  (Read 9348 times)

Aeliss

Re: Multiple directories in MAME 'roms' mGalaxy configuration crashes mGalaxy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 06:51:39 AM »
Or you can just make a folder called Mame_Rom, and put all the roms inside, you can make as many subfolder you want inside.
There isn't lot difference beetween

E:\roms;E:\chd
and
E:\Mame\roms;E:\Mame\chd

Electric_Dreams

Re: Multiple directories in MAME 'roms' mGalaxy configuration crashes mGalaxy
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 04:27:16 AM »
Hi,

It seems that mGalaxy can not handle multiple rom directories for Mame Systems (I think this is a bad thing, because Mame can natively handle multiple directories. A Front End should not limit the Emulator functionnalities...)

To keep roms and CHD separated like i do, try this :

1) First edit your mame.ini config file in your MAME base directory , and modify the rompath line to add the roms and chd separated directories:
Code: [Select]
rompath                   roms;E:\roms;E:\chd
2) Then edit the file UserSystems.xml (go in your mGalaxy base folder, you will find this file inside Data/UserSystems subdirectory)

Find the CMD markup line related to your Mame System :

<Cmd hidden="true" name="MAME" value="-rompath &quot;%path&quot; %file%ext -volume -%volume(32,0) -skip_gameinfo -nowindow -joystick" extensions=".zip,.7z,.chd" />
Delete  this :  -rompath &quot;%path&quot;

So the line should be like this :

<Cmd hidden="true" name="MAME" value="%file%ext -volume -%volume(32,0) -skip_gameinfo -nowindow -joystick" extensions=".zip,.7z,.chd" />
With this modification, mGalaxy will not be able to over-define rompath parameter anymore. Mame will use the rompaths found in mame.ini.

( Changing the value of Rompath inside mGalaxy_Runway won't alter your modifications on this line)

I think it will be a good idea to add multiple rompath directories handling to mGalaxy to avoid this kind of ugly tweak.

Aeliss

Yep, you are right, chd are useless for mGalaxy. I have for exemple

roms/area51.zip
roms/area1/area51.chd

The first file is for mgalaxy working
The second one for Mame only.

Only one is displayed in mGalaxy, the first one. The second one can be somewhere else for mGalaxy, but harder to make it working for Mame.

randypower

I don't have this problem, I just put all CHD file in the rom folder too (and chd additives files are in their respective folder in the rom folder too)

Thanks, AELISS. I can see that working, but it's a little more maintenance with each version update. Did you put the CHDs in the roms folder in order to deal with this concern? I'm not sure mGalaxy needs to see the CHDs, though. If it sees a rom (.zip), then it thinks the game is present?  And then when a game is started, it's mame itself that needs to use the CHDs.

Aeliss

I don't have this problem, I just put all CHD file in the rom folder too (and chd additives files are in their respective folder in the rom folder too)

randypower

Multiple directories in MAME 'roms' mGalaxy configuration crashes mGalaxy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »
While fiddling with settings, I thought I might need to give mGalaxy two folders for my MAME roms, just as MAME itself needs references to the 'roms' directory as well as 'chd'.  So I added both of these in _Runway with a semi-colon as a separator and saved/quit. mGalaxy didn't like that and crashed on launch. I had to find the configuration file and fix it manually to get _Runway to run again.