Author Topic: How to start with a database?  (Read 5151 times)

uptown47

Re: How to start with a database?
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 08:42:15 AM »
That was *exactly* what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

(I can't believe I didn't suss about changing the server to none!)

I've got the database sorted now. Just need to edit the xml but I've already tried it and it's working a treat.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 07:49:33 AM »
Hi uptown47,

The problem is that there's no database available for Fruit machines! So unfortunately  there's no chance to retrieve infos from database servers drop-down menu...but, you have the option to create a 'simple' database! By simple, we mean: a database which only lists the games from your folder...and I think that it is exactly what you're looking for!?
There's indeed a video tutorial covering this aspect here (beginning at 00:23...but the link should get you there directly):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_DdYwks9M#t=00m23s

If I understand you well, you then want to edit the 'description' name (by opposition to the 'filename'!)

ATTENTION: you CAN'T edit the description name directly from within mGalaxy_Runway!
Actually, the distinction between 'description name' and 'file name' is due to MAME, where you clearly need the description name for the rom file!
For other systems, the description name and file name are identical! (for now!?)

What you'll have to do is to edit the 'xmlout.xml' file directly (this file is in mGalaxy folder > Data > UserSystems > 'the name of the system you want to edit' > xmlout.xml) and change the description name there!

ATTENTION ( ;)): be sure to have a unique description name! I can't test it now from where I am...but I think this is preferable not to share the same description name across different games until I can check that mGalaxy wouldn't crash in such a case!!

Hope that it'll help!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:58:13 AM by mgalaxy »

uptown47

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:33:22 AM »
Hi JMD

This just isn't working for me. I'm using MFME (Multiple *Fruit* Machine Emulator) which isn't natively supported by mGalaxy. So none of the "auto" update-type features work for me.

If you don't mind could you paste your xmlout.xml file in here so I can copy it and edit it for my system please. (Or at least just the top and bottom of your xml just showing a few roms so I can see how it's put together).

I can't find an 'example' xmlout.xml file anywhere?

Thanks for any help you can give me. Cheers :-)

uptown47

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 06:56:09 PM »
Hi JMD

No I've not seen those. Thanks for the link. Will check them out.

Much appreciated :-)

jmd

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 02:50:58 PM »
Hi uptown47,

There's a couple video covering database creation and edition here: https://www.youtube.com/user/mGalaxyFE/videos
Have you seen them?

uptown47

How to start with a database?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 06:18:14 AM »
Hi all,
I'm using MFME (not MAME) with mGalaxy. My list of Fruit Machines is named by the filenames and I would like to rename them.

I have mGalaxy premium but there is nothing in my database tab at the moment. Where can I get a 'basic' database to then start editing?

I've tried the 'auto' feature on the database but it doesn't find anything. I'm presuming it's in the form of an xml file but I need a 'base' file in order to edit it for my needs?

Anyone know where the link is to one?