Author Topic: mGalaxy Not Seeing Changes Made In mame.ini  (Read 20873 times)

default_user

• Email
Re: mGalaxy Not Seeing Changes Made In mame.ini
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 02:54:19 AM »
Okay I'll try the fix now

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 02:51:28 AM »
Yes indeed, mGalaxy is passing arguments to mame when you're launching a game (the mame volume and the skip gameinfo)...but it doesn't prevent other settings to be read in the "mame.ini" file. I did the test again, yesterday on my Win 7 PC and this morning on a XP PC!
In both cases, changing the rompath in the mame.ini file is successful!

Have you done a test with a couple of rom in a 'roms' folder in the root folder of mGalaxy?
I mean, have you tested that it works under "normal" use!
It may sound you a stupid question...but I want to be sure ;-)

I remind you that the minimum files needed by mGalaxy are:
- mGalaxy.exe
- mGalaxy.exe.config
- mame.exe

Please create a folder somewhere and add those file into it.
Then, add to this folder a 'roms' folder and put a couple rom in it....check if it works.
Then move the 'roms' folder only and adapt the mame.ini file accordingly and see what happens.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:05:42 AM by mgalaxy »

default_user

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 02:43:39 AM »
I have seen other users with the same problem.  One was a problem adding ROM paths and the other was concerning windowed mode setting changes. 

Strange thing is that the the mame.ini changes worked for the user with the problem adding a new ROM path.

Stranger still is that the Administrator says that windowed mode settings can't be changed at all but how can the ROM path setting work and not the windowed mode setting change?  They are both options that are changed via the mame.ini file.

Unfortunately the only answer I've seen is that the mame.ini file can be changed to work with mGalaxy but sadly that is not the case with mame ver. 0.143; unless I am wrong but I am still waiting on the Administrator's reply with a definite answer to my question abut changing these configurations.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 02:46:56 AM by default_user »

default_user

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 02:30:06 AM »
I think the "two" ini files he might be talking about are the mame.ini and mGalaxy's favorites ini.  I know they have nothing to do with each other but his thinking might lead us to where exactly this mystery configuration file(.ini , .cfg , .xml) is or what it is for that matter.

I'm not at all sure about this but it is possible that mGalaxy might have been written so that it has predefined parameters when it works with mame.exe

I don't know enough about programming to verify this possibility but it might explain why mame.exe's settings are being overridden.

Causbrite

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 02:28:58 AM »
My bad, one of the *.ini's was a mameui32.ini, the other mame.ini. I also had them in my INI folder as well. Was just trying to be helpful with the original poster.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:55:28 AM »
So that's OK now?

Would you please tell me
1) where the INI folder is located
2) how 2 files with the same name could be in the same folder

In other words, could you give me the full path & full name of those 3 files?

Thanks!!

Causbrite

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:50:58 AM »
Have a look for a second *.ini file. Sometimes ther's more than one. Might be in a different folder as well. I have 3, one in INI folder, and 2 were in the root folder. All the same now, and everything works OK. Just an idea.

default_user

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
Version 2.0

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:46 PM »
Which mgalaxy version are you running? The "old" one, or the new v2.0

default_user

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
I am assuming that mGalaxy is in fact using the mame.ini file to configure mame.  And so I thought that it is somehow "reverting" to default settings since I am not seeing the changes in mGalaxy.

And I did check the mame.ini file after launching mGalaxy and my custom settings are still there in mame.ini file.  But like I said before it's as though mGalaxy is either not looking for a config file or is using some other file in some other directory for its mame configurations because anything I set in mame.ini does not take effect after I launch mGalaxy unless I launch mame.exe by itself.   

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »
That's strange! I just did the test, changing my rom's place, as you did...and it works!

When you say "everything gets reverted to default settings" do you mean that the "mame.ini" file has overwritten the settings that you applied (so, you read "rompath            roms" when you open it again)?
What mgalaxy version are you running? The "old" one, or the new v2.0

default_user

• Email
mGalaxy Not Seeing Changes Made In mame.ini
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:59:11 PM »
Hi,

MAME Version: 0.143

I am very happy with the mGalaxy frontend but I can't seem to get mGalaxy to see changes I make to MAME's mame.ini file.  I have already looked at the video setting and ROM path setting posts in the forum and I have tried the fix but mGalaxy still does not see any changes I make to mame.ini 

I know that the I am making the right changes to MAME because when I click on mame.exe I can see the setting changes but when I start mGalaxy by clicking on the mGalaxy.exe file everything gets reverted to default settings.

This is what I'm doing exactly:
          I added the rom path in the mame.ini file from "roms" to "C:\MAME ROMS"
          It looks like this:
          rompath            roms;c:\MAME ROMS

Only problem is that whenever I launch mGalaxy it won't see the mame.ini changes.  But launching mame by itself is the only way I am able to see settings changes.

I really want to continue using your frontend but I am not sure if this is a program bug or something I can fix.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:16:50 PM by default_user »