Author Topic: Wario Land II (GBC) missing from GBC DB?  (Read 11985 times)

jmd

• Email
Re: Wario Land II (GBC) missing from GBC DB?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
Please, try to rescan Wario Land 2 ROM with that option enabled: "Remove ref. to missing roms" to perhaps get the same result as in my screenshot.
I'm "sorry" to tell you that I've done the test again and in every cases the rom is found and the database populated!

Just an idea: wouldn't you by chance get a "path too long" exception error? In other words, wouldn't you have too many imbricated folders? Could you run a test with your rom folder on the desktop?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 11:53:20 AM by jmd »

bugboy

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:21 PM »
Tested it on 1 game (the game you get problem with)...passed the test nicely!
You can send me private message with download link for the full set if you want..I will tell you in return if it works or not!

I have tried doing what you have done. ROM exists in folder ROM. ROM appears to be scanned by DB Update.  mGalaxy says no ROMs exist...

ROM path is fine btw.

No matter what I do, if i reduce ROMs from 168 to 7, it can only scan 6, it always ignores Wario Land 2.

Even if I reduce to 2 or 1 games - it always ignores Wario Land 2.

No matter if I choose TheGamesDB, or Screenscraper.

Even if I delete xmlout.xml, it doesn't help or reset anything.

There is only one (TEMPORARY) fix: Change server to None (list folder content) then update DB that way.

After this, Wario Land 2 will appear when using Screenscraper and TheGamesDB, but ONLY IF "Remove ref. to missing roms" is DISABLED.

If I enable this option, it will immediately delete Wario Land 2 from the DB.

Please, try to rescan Wario Land 2 ROM with that option enabled: "Remove ref. to missing roms" to perhaps get the same result as in my screenshot.

jmd

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 04:25:17 PM »
Tested it on 1 game (the game you get problem with)...passed the test nicely!
You can send me private message with download link for the full set if you want..I will tell you in return if it works or not!

bugboy

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
It shouldn't be a problem with the file extension. It is *.gbc just like all the others.

I still can't get mGalaxy to read the ROM, even after deleting and recreating a new System.

It simply skips Wario Land 2, and it isn't even submitted to Screenscraper/TheGamesDB. What would make mGalaxy skip a game, or be unable to see new ROMs in the folder (only 167 of 168)?

Aeliss

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 11:21:32 AM »
Realy strange, you are sure it's not a prb in the rom name (extension) ?

bugboy

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:19:26 PM »
I have possibly boiled the issue down to this:

Why is mGalaxy submitting only 167 of 168 to Screenscraper?

Where is Wario Land II ?1 My GBC folder has 168 .gbc files.

Edit: Do I have to run with None (list folder content) each time you add new games?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 07:35:45 PM by bugboy »

bugboy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 07:07:34 PM »
First of, Just a quick reminder ;)
"Use database file (if available)" means what it says: a database will be used...if mGalaxy can find such a database file!
If you have not created (or downloaded) a database with the tools provided by mGalaxy_Runway, mGalaxy will 'simply' display the rom list from your rom folder!

Creating, then using a database allows you to:
1. [Mainly for MAME] Have the 'real name' of the game displayed (i.e. for a rom named 'pmitb.zip' mGalaxy would be able to display 'pacman is the best' )
2. Have players/genre/overview info displayed
3. Have games of your choice hidden (but you need the 'Premium' version to edit your database)

So, have you created a database? Otherwise, what you see is simply the list of roms from your roms folder!

So you're saying that a database is created only by using "DB UPDATE"?

I ran it many times to attempt to download cover art.  I first tried TheGamesDB, but it doesn't work - it fails every time. Then I tried Screenscraper - and it works.

That is perhaps how the database was created originally.

I had to run the Screenscraper version many times to fully collect all the images - sometimes it skipped all letters M, or all letters R etc. Big gaps of missing metadata in the Rom list.

But why is Wario Land 2 missing entirely from the database? The game exists in ROM folder.

Why are obscure ROM translations like "Wizardry I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (Japan) [En by Opus v1.0].gbc" fine? Even though they have NO entry on ScreenScraper or TheGamesDB.

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 03:17:49 PM »
First of, Just a quick reminder ;)
"Use database file (if available)" means what it says: a database will be used...if mGalaxy can find such a database file!
If you have not created (or downloaded) a database with the tools provided by mGalaxy_Runway, mGalaxy will 'simply' display the rom list from your rom folder!

Creating, then using a database allows you to:
1. [Mainly for MAME] Have the 'real name' of the game displayed (i.e. for a rom named 'pmitb.zip' mGalaxy would be able to display 'pacman is the best' )
2. Have players/genre/overview info displayed
3. Have games of your choice hidden (but you need the 'Premium' version to edit your database)

So, have you created a database? Otherwise, what you see is simply the list of roms from your roms folder!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:20:56 PM by mgalaxy »

bugboy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
The fact is that mGalaxy won't "recognizes" a game if the game is not present in one of the databases available!
Which database did you choose to use in mGalaxy_Runway?

The Game Boy Color system has its own internal ROM database in the installation files, no?
I don't mean the scraper database.

For example,

"Wizardry I - Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (Japan) [En by Opus v1.0].gbc"
(md5: A121F37C6AA1C5D5525545B2758B9DF4)

This is a translation patched ROM that successfully shows up in mGalaxy even if "Use database file" is enabled.
However, it gets zero hits on ScreenScraper (the only working database for images).

In my case, Wario Land II (Wario Land II (U) [C][!].gbc) is simply ignored by mGalaxy if "Use database file" is enabled. It doesn't show up in the list. Has nothing to do with downloading images.
It's md5 is B7598A51E0ACC0D74CA8F464826371ED

You can add it manualy yourself in the database, it's just text file.

The database is made with mGalaxyRunaway ?

Yes, I used mGalaxyRunway to create the GBC platform and specify ROM folder location. I also did this for plain classic GB. In the "extra" tab, there is a "Use DB if available" option - I just left it as is, its enabled by default.

It recognized 263/263 GB and 167/168 GBC and I identified "Wario Land II" as the GBC one that isn't being recognized - I tried renaming it  to Wario Land 2, removing  the (U) [!], nothing fixed it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:33:41 AM by bugboy »

jmd

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:52:46 AM »
Another good advice would be to bring support to mGalaxy with a Premium license ;) With a Premium license you would be able to edit each fields and images independently!

jmd

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
The fact is that mGalaxy won't "recognizes" a game if the game is not present in one of the databases available!
Which database did you choose to use in mGalaxy_Runway?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:50:53 AM by jmd »

Aeliss

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:33:54 AM »

The database is made with mGalaxyRunaway ?

bugboy

Wario Land II (GBC) missing from GBC DB?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:55 AM »
mGalaxy recognized 167/168 of my gbc ROMs,  even recognizing some english translations... but for some reason not Wario Land 2 for gbc. I am using a good [!] dump.

The only way to make the game be displayed is by disabling Use DB (if available) option... but scraping doesnt work for it as its not detected as a new game.

Update (Mar 2 2017):

The only way to make sure Wario Land 2 is in the DB is following two steps:

1. To ensure that mGalaxy detects the game, you must scan with "None (list folder content)" after adding the game to the ROM folder.
2. To ensure that mGalaxy doesn't delete the game, you must never use "Remove ref. to missing roms" option.

- Remove ref. to missing roms, appears to delete Wario Land 2.
- Using Screenscraper or TheGamesDB Server without first scanning the entire ROM folder, means that Wario Land 2 wont be submitted to the server.

I can only assume that some bug in mGalaxy is incorrectly believing Wario Land 2 is a non-existent ROM.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 05:54:46 PM by bugboy »