Author Topic: No games found after creating a MAME database (MAME0.156, mGalaxy 6.2)  (Read 4383 times)

mgalaxy

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: No games found after creating a MAME database (MAME0.156, mGalaxy 6.2)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:29:30 AM »
When I create the database, as per the instructions in the setup tutorial, everything seems to work correctly. mGalaxy reports "Database created".
Locate the data folder for this system and find the xmlout.xml file (ex. "C:\Program Files (x86)\mGalaxy\Data\UserSystems\Multi-system [MAME]-bGTXZya5\xmlout.xml")
What's the size for that file? Can you open it and copy paste the first (let's say 50) lines here?

I have the latest version of catver.ini, and the 0.156 version of nplayer.ini. Both files are in the mGalaxy folder.
They should be in the Mame application folder (as said by Aeliss)

Before I began using mGalaxy I did move all of the ROMs I didn't want manually to a different folder. Could this be the issue?
No it isn't. MAME DB creation doesn't rely on your roms folder (excepted if you choose 'None' as DB server)
On the other side, once in mGalaxy, you can choose whether or not you will see games that you don't have in your rom folder (but which are present in the database) by checking/unchecking the 'Show available only' button in the pref. window!

Aeliss

Re: No games found after creating a MAME database (MAME0.156, mGalaxy 6.2)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
I have the latest version of catver.ini, and the 0.156 version of nplayer.ini. Both files are in the mGalaxy folder.
Theses files need to be in the MaMe folder.

Take a look here http://www.mgalaxy.com/tutorial_mGalaxy.html
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:43:25 AM by Aeliss »

eltobol

No games found after creating a MAME database (MAME0.156, mGalaxy 6.2)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
Hello All,

I have been searching and reading every thread I can find on this forum about the database creation, in order to have a nice, ordered list of games in MAME as opposed to the abbreviated names of the actual ROMs. But I haven't found a problem similar to mine, so I'm writing in:
     When I create the database, as per the instructions in the setup tutorial, everything seems to work correctly. mGalaxy reports "Database created". But after doing so and starting mGalaxy, no games appear in the list. If I go back into Runway and select the "None (list folder content)" option under the "Server" tab, then "Update Everything" then the process runs again, very quickly. Then mGalaxy lists the games I have in my ROMs folder with their abbreviated names.
      I have the latest version of catver.ini, and the 0.156 version of nplayer.ini. Both files are in the mGalaxy folder. One thing I cannot figure out is whether or not catver.ini needs to be version 0.156. As many on this forum have noted, it's very difficult to find previous versions of this file. I've also tried with a modified catver.ini file that the mGalaxy staff provided in this thread: http://www.mgalaxy.com/forum/index.php?topic=731.msg2784#msg2784 . But I have the same result. The total number of ROMs being searched for has changed, so I know that mGalaxy is doing something different.
       Before I began using mGalaxy I did move all of the ROMs I didn't want manually to a different folder. Could this be the issue?
       I will try fresh installs of everything and write back - but if there's something else I need to try, then please..help!
Many thanks.
      Another detail that might be helpful